Problem with an Alpha cooker boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just decommissioned the boiler elements of our alpha cooker and replaced it with a traditional CD boiler. Central heating is working fine, all controlled by the same 3-zone controller that used to control the CH and hot water from the alpha.

Came to use the cooker for the first time and ran it for about 2 hours at 150 degrees until the high limit stat kicked in - which takes out the controller.

I had the boiler thermostat on the alpha boiler control set to zero, but there is no power getting to those circuits in the alpha. When I turned the alpha thermostat to max (85). I cranked the cooker up to 240. It reached the temperature,. but shortly after, the high stat kicked in again.

Is this a coincidence and I have a problem with the cooker thermostat or have I created a major problem by decommisioning the boiler elements of the alpha?

I suspect (hope) it's a coincidence as the installation instructions for the cooker shows a circuit diagram for a 'dry cooker' - ie no CH boiler working.

Any advice would be truly appreciated

cheers Mike

Sponsored Links
How did you de-commission the boiler side? If it is the boiler high limit that is cutting everything out, then you need to take out this circuit completely, leaving just the cooker control and limit in place. If you compare the wiring diagrams for the dry cooker and the cooker/boiler, this should give you enough information to remedy the situation.

Thanks for that - the cooker is wired as the circuit for the dry cooker in the manual. It seems the plumber has disconnected the flow and return though and that is affecting the heat dissipation. If I run the cooker up to 200, the body is too hot to touch! Resorted to an Alpha expert who will come in and fix it. At least I know it is possible. I was contemplating the cost of scrapping the lovely beats and buying a new range cooker - nightmare.

cheers Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back