Problem with central heating (I think it might be the pump)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My first post. I have tried to put everything I can into the post as requested in the forum.

1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)
Don't know (it is behind the fire downstairs if that helps (backboiler?)).

2) What is / is not happening
I have been away since Saturday, earlier today my wife said the rads downstairs were cold. I checked for any trapped air, and turned on all rads in the house, still no joy. When I looked at the pump area, the pump was lifeless. I did try turning off the power to the pump, then back on again, there is no life at all there.

3) Has ANYTHING else been done / changed recently
No.

4) When did it (problem) start
Today.

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance
No.

Basically I am trying to work out three things.
1. Is the pump faulty (it is a Myson Unit 2)?
2. Are pumps relatively easy to replace (I have replaced rad valves, 2 cisterns and a few other pluming chores).
3. If it is the pump, what replacement do I get (looking at screwfix.com, there appear to be 2 types, 5M and 6M).

Thanks in advance for any help, if more info is needed, let me know and I will do my best to provide it.

Tony.

Sponsored Links
kennedylanduk said:
Basically I am trying to work out three things.
1. Is the pump faulty (it is a Myson Unit 2)?
2. Are pumps relatively easy to replace (I have replaced rad valves, 2 cisterns and a few other pluming chores).
3. If it is the pump, what replacement do I get (looking at screwfix.com, there appear to be 2 types, 5M and 6M).

Thanks in advance for any help, if more info is needed, let me know and I will do my best to provide it.

Tony.

I have to thank and commend you for including all information possible, and in a clear and structured format, enabling a swift reply. You should see some other posts - they are written in Jibberish.

Anyway, it sounds fairly conclusive that your pump has gone. They are easy to replace (old one out, new one in). You can buy them virtually anywhere.

Personally I wouldnt buy from screwfix. Everything is cheap, nasty, and poor quality.

Thanks for very quick reply. I read quite a few forums (and run one for the company) so understand how important it is to at least try and follow the 'rules'. This forum seems to be full of useful information.

Can you recommend any online suppliers of pumps? I am also a little confused with the terms
"TC5 for Domestic Applications up to 22kW"
and
"TC6 for Higher Head or Flow Rate Applications up to 35kW".

I have a 3 bed house with dining room, so if it is just a case of power, can I get the more powerful one?

Thanks again,

Tony.

Incidentally, it isnt technically a 'rule' that you be clear. It just enables people to answer your question - something others dont understand.
kennedylanduk said:
Thanks for very quick reply. I read quite a few forums (and run one for the company) so understand how important it is to at least try and follow the 'rules'. This forum seems to be full of useful information.

Can you recommend any online suppliers of pumps? I am also a little confused with the terms
"TC5 for Domestic Applications up to 22kW"
and
"TC6 for Higher Head or Flow Rate Applications up to 35kW".

I have a 3 bed house with dining room, so if it is just a case of power, can I get the more powerful one?

Thanks again,

Tony.

Basically it is just power. I wouldnt think that using the more powerful one would do any harm, but dont get the more powerful one for the sake of it.
I'm not actually a plumber by trade, so I can't tell you where best to get them - all I say is stay away from screwfix.

Sponsored Links
Yep, I know it isn't a rule, it is just a nice thing to do (if that makes sense).

I have found a couple of pumps,
here

Do you know what the 15-50 and 15-60 refer to? I assume it is just another way of writing TC5 and TC6, but not sure.

think I have found it here (it is just 5m and 6m).
Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back