Problem with combi boiler - heating works but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, would appreciate any advice...

I have a combi boiler which is providing heat for the radiators without a problem, but there's no hot water from the taps/showers/etc.

When I turn on a hot water tap, I can hear the boiler kicking in, but the hot water outlet from the boiler is cold and all the hot water seems to go out of the central heating outlet.

I refilled the central heating system a few days ago as the pressure was a bit low, and the problem has occured since then.

I can't face another cold shower :(

Sponsored Links
can you say what the make and model is, plus does it fire at all on hot water demand ?

Thanks,
it's a vaillant combi boiler, not sure of the model as it doesn't have a model no. on the boiler.

The boiler does fire when you request hot water from a tap, but the hot water seems to go into the central heating system rather than into the hot water outlet.

I have a Vaillant vcw t3w sine combi boiler that has recenty stopped producing domestic hot water. C heating is fine and working but over the last 2 weeks the hot water preasure appears to have dropped and now I receive no hot water at all. On turning the hot water tap on, water runs and the boiler fires up, but no hot tap water ...however the rads become warm even if the C. heating is not on. Any ideas.... BG said I need a new boiler.... anybody surprised ?? :cry: and ant advice ?

Sponsored Links
Nigelinuk said:
I have a Vaillant vcw t3w sine combi boiler that has recenty stopped producing domestic hot water. C heating is fine and working but over the last 2 weeks the hot water preasure appears to have dropped and now I receive no hot water at all. On turning the hot water tap on, water runs and the boiler fires up, but no hot tap water ...however the rads become warm even if the C. heating is not on. Any ideas.... BG said I need a new boiler.... anybody surprised ?? :cry: and ant advice ?

Its probably he hot water calorifier all blocked mate but it may be and idea to upgrade it as it is an old beast that one and there is a lot better on the market

All depends if you want to spend a lot of cash in replacing the HWC or think it may be more advantageous spending it on a nice new boiler, its your cash so its your choice

withnails said:
Hello, would appreciate any advice...

I have a combi boiler which is providing heat for the radiators without a problem, but there's no hot water from the taps/showers/etc.

When I turn on a hot water tap, I can hear the boiler kicking in, but the hot water outlet from the boiler is cold and all the hot water seems to go out of the central heating outlet.

I refilled the central heating system a few days ago as the pressure was a bit low, and the problem has occured since then.

I can't face another cold shower :(

I take it that water is coming out of the tap?

if it is I believe that the diverter valve is useless mate and a new one is needed, I ain't got a clue how much one is lately but it takes about an hour for a VAILLANT trained engineer to change one, My advice is give VAILLANT a call and book one up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back