problem with electric shower

T

teddyb

Hi

Shower has been working fine.
Today, I went in to find the neon light was not lit and the shower not working.

Checked the consumer unit, the fuse for the 'shower 1st floor' was still in the on position. I tried the pull switch by the shower, it went to off and I pulled it back to on. Still no neon light/power to the shower.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong?

I hope it's something simple enough to fix easily - I need a shower ...

Sponsored Links
have you tried turning breaker to off position then back on?

are you refering to the light on the pull cord switch or the shower itself?

Sponsored Links
The pull switch I refer to is the the one that isolates the shower - nothing to do with anything else - the neon light is dead as is the shower itself.

I have just tried turning the RCD (which is what I meant by the 'fuse in the copnsumer unit) off then on again. Still not working .....

if you are sure that all breakers and rcd`s are on, then it is probably in the pull cord and from my experience a loose connection and it may be burnt out. open it up with the breaker off and inspect it

if there in no light at the pull cord switch, either the power isnt getting to it or the switch isnt allowing the power to go through it. your shower will probably be ok

Ahh..

Consumer unit = lots of rectangles with switches or buttons. 1 labelled shower 1st floor, switch is still in on position. Nothing else until I get to bathroom = ceiling pull switch with neo light, in on position but no power (no neon light on). Shower's own button does nothing when pressed.

Not being a 'sparks' I may have got terminology wrong .. apologies .. all help gratefully received!

posts are now out of synch.

My last post was in response to question re breaker / rcd.

right if all are on then probably pull cord switch, open it carefully with breaker off, may see signs of burning or may just be gone itside switch itself. new one about a tenner or so.

Cheers fireman22.

It's too late to look into the pull cord switch now so I'll have a go tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help so far!

:confused:

if the switch looks ok then it might be that it's internal to the switch, or it might be that a connection has come loose in the fuse board / consumer unit..

you'll need a multimeter to check the voltage at the switch..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back