Problem with external wall

Reaction score
Country
Ireland

Hi I'm trying to diagnose the problem of the external wall on my pre 1920s home.
Not sure whether it's a problem with the solid wall itself causing damage to render or if it's just the render.
I'm thinking it may have been caused by frost attack ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
render over lead flashing is not a good idea thats why its blown also above sill the render has come away from the wood

Unfortunately, you can see that the properties been poorly maintained, but it's obviously not easy to get up there, and it looks as though the render is older than the lead flashing.

The render needs coming off, and you can then ascertain if it can be rendered, but it won't match well with the rest, and it'll all need painting to try and cover over the repair. Having said that, post some more pictures, as looking at that section, it may need stripping off the whole wall.

The window looks like the paintwork needs a little bit of touch up applied.

Sponsored Links
I was aware of that conundrum Steve, but it still does. There's an unusual gap below the render, and if you look at the top row of tiles, then they're in a far worse state that those lower down. It's almost as though they've done some work on the porch, and let it drop a bit.

I was aware of that conundrum Steve, but it still does. There's an unusual gap below the render, and if you look at the top row of tiles, then they're in a far worse state that those lower down. It's almost as though they've done some work on the porch, and let it drop a bit.
well i see the gap and i can see the top row of tiles are not in a good state thats about it lol its hard to read what else has gone on

Looks like the flashing is tucked in the joint under the sill, extends down to roof tiles then rendered over which has now pulled away .
The lead looks as if it could do with replacing as there is a stress crack running vertically? The gap at the bottom, batton used as straight edge to render to?
litl
Edit: From a closer look I think I can see the lead chased in where the render has split horizontally and not under the sill?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back