Type of render for solid brick walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A 1930s property with solid brick walls is currently rendered with pebbledash.

Some of the pebbledashing around a window is blown and I'd like to replace the lot with a smooth finish as I'm not a fan of pebbledashing.

I'm mindful that as it's a solid brick wall it will need to be allowed to 'breath' in order to avoid penetrating damp.

What are the do's and dont's for rendering such a property? Can you render right up to window and doors or will this cause cracking when the fixtures are in use - thinking of doors slamming, etc. What type of render should be used?

View media item 105723

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
it doesn’t need to be allowed to breathe.
if your’e referring to lime render , it’s not relevant to you , properties don’t ‘breathe’ from the inside out , they just let relentless amounts of moisture in if you get the materials wrong.
scratch coat 5:1:1/2 sand cement lime.
top coat 5 1/2 :1:1/2 sand cement lime.

lime mortar does not only work one way. people who believe that it only allows moisture out want also to believe it isn’t highly porous and allow moisture to enter relentlessly .
it’s only use is in historic timber or stone buildings built with large demands for movement and flexibility.
although ignorants will arrive shortly to poo poo me.
you have to render tight to windows and doors or water will come in.

Last edited by a moderator:
And be careful when you get it done.

Cold winter or hot summer...not good

OP,
there was a famous case some years ago of a Mayfair cement rendered house that ended up looking like a swimming pool inside.
In court, All the expert witnesses agreed that cement render was wrong, & the cause of the damp - the Contractor lost the case and had to pay a massive fine.
Lime render was then used on the house - and on many more Mayfair/Belgravia properties since.

Sponsored Links
OP,
there was a famous case some years ago of a Mayfair cement rendered house that ended up looking like a swimming pool inside.
In court, All the expert witnesses agreed that cement render was wrong, & the cause of the damp - the Contractor lost the case and had to pay a massive fine.
Lime render was then used on the house - and on many more Mayfair/Belgravia properties since.[/QUOTE]
i see the rest of the house, and the house next door is sand/ cement render/ dash. :LOL: .
any way tel765 maybe you can explain the best way to remove all the existing and prepare the walls for the new 3:1 sand lime render, also you can explain what the op asked , should there be just the one coat , or a scratch coat and top coat, how much water in the mix and is it hydraulic or hydrated lime? also when is the best time of year going to be to carry out the works and how should the op make sure that the render gets just the right amount of time to cure given the highly porous substrate. As we all know lime render has to have the right timings for cure and calcification or it’ll end up a big disaster. also you could advise the op of any chemicals or fibres he could add to his 3:1 sand lime mix to give it extra strength .

I had delicately avoided this personal issue of yours but briefly, very briefly:

See? See what - are you referring to your excremental vision - which is somehow apparently connected to your desire for spectators to watch, to "see" you as you poo poo yourself.
Such exposures are not a pretty sight - there's also the H&S issues.

FWIW: I am so glad to see you've copied a little of my advice to others ref lime render - well done. If only you could stay away from your strange OCD's?
so no elaboration on 3:1 sand / lime.:LOL:
so the advice is ,basically , mix any sand to any lime and slap it on the wall?
keep quiet until you know what your dribbling about, or at least give us some idea of how to float it up to get it smooth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back