problem with fan light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am trying to install a fan light, this is the problem.i want to wire the fan light via 2gang 2 way switch, one of the switches im using for a wall lights.how do i go about wiring up the fan light from the other switch. i,ve fused down of ring main to supply switch

the connections on the fan light are orange, brown,neutral,earth i take it 1 for light 1 for fan.
i am using twin and earth, i have tried live from fused spur to com and from L1 to supply wall lights. first switch

link from com first switch to com on second switch L1 to fan light this just takes out fuse in spur. hope i have made sense

some help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
the first thing to do is to switch the mains off and remove the cable from the spur as what you have done is VERY dangerous. :!:

I understand your thinking fan must have spur, spur must go on ring.
the problem is that if you work on the lights and turn off the lighting circuit your fan (and every thing else) will still be live as you are "mixing" from one supply to the other which also means if it was to work it can back feed from one circuit to the other

but what you have is essentialy a light , so it should be connected to the lighting circuit.

remove you cable from the spur and reply back, one other thing,

What do the instructions say?

sorry to alarm you i did'nt do a very good job of explaining myself.
1. i have fused of the ring main to supply the wall lights and fan light(5amp)
2.taken live from load side of fused spur to a 2 gang 2 way switch

3.connected live to com on 1st switch then L1 to wall lights(working fine)

4. problem came when trying to connect fan light. link from com from first switch to com second switch. L1 to fan light neutrals from spur wall lights and fan light into choc block as well as earths back box earthed aswell.

5.according to manuals if you wat to run fan from a switch it states that orange and brown are connected to live from switch and use pull switches on fan to select wether fan or light or both to be used

is this explination any better

many thanks

the way this bit reads"link from com from first switch to com second switch. L1 to fan light neutrals "

are you saying you have connected the neutrals to the switch?

if so that is your problem.

you should connect it the same as you have your wall lights, except the orange and brown should go into L1 (on the second switch)

this drawing may help, except yours will have orange and brown instead of red for the fan

lightnfan.gif

Sponsored Links
hello not very good at explaining myself ,sorry

it is wired as per your drawing NO neutrals are connected to any switch.
do you think it would be worth an either checking out fan light unit or cable running from switch to fan light

thank you for your reply's everything is now up and running.

that prat that fitted consevatory had damaged the live and neutral on threading through the frame work.needless to say i will be asking the company for the expense of my time and inconvienence.

once again thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back