Problem with floor-standing fan AFTER replacing capacitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our floor-standing bedroom fan was displaying the classic symptoms of a bad capacitor, so I replaced it. Unfortunately, that hasn't fixed the problem - or at least, it hasn't fixed it permanently.

Sometimes when you switch it on, it will start perfectly normally. Other times, the blades will barely move, so you have to remove the grille and spin them by hand to get them started. There doesn't seem to be any obvious pattern for the failure.

It doesn't seem to be a lube issue, as the blades turn smoothly with no resistance.

The fan is over 20 years old now (although it only gets used during the warmer nights in summer), so could it be some kind of internal wear that only has an intermittent effect? Once the blades are spinning, it will run as long as necessary without problems.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with fixing things up, to get a bit more value and life out of them, plus it is a learning experience with a nice warm glow if you succeed.

Are you sure the capacitor value is correct, tried a slightly higher value, was it a new capacitor which you tried it with?

Capacitor is brand new and exact same value as the old one - 450V 1.0uF.

And I'm interested to know what could be causing it to *intermittently* suffer starting issues. Although short of stripping the entire motor down, I suspect that won't be easy to ascertain, given that the capacitor is the usual cause and it clearly isn't in this case.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back