Problem with garden wall, builder won't return. Advice??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a two storey extension built in 2007 and as part of that, a new front garden wall. It was completed around October 2007.

Within 12 months, sand/cement mortar from the top of the garden wall started to break up so I called the builder back who then replaced it.

Problems continued with the wall and in April 2009 I asked the builder to return and rectify the issues. Between then and now, nearly 13 months later, I've had nothing but reassurances that he's going to come and sort it and that he's not about to leave me in the lurch but here I am with the wall getting worse.
Last Friday, I wrote a letter to him detailing the issues along with photographs. I asked him to arrange a mutually convenient appointment within 7 days to visit my property, assess the problems, come up with a solution and a time frame to rectify the problem. I've not heard anything yet.

What should be my first course of action to take this further?

Citizens Advice Bureau?
Trading Standards?
Solicitor?
Any other option?

Here's a few pics of the wall in question:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Sponsored Links
That looks like earth movement, would the builder be responsible for that?
Do you live in area of previous coal mining activity, it could be mining subsidence.

Wotan

Not sure but he dug the foundations and poured the concrete for the wall.

Also, all other garden walls on my Avenue are in much better condition - those built much prior to mine and also ones built after.

The mortar is so dry and powerery that I can use a cardboard business card to rake out between bricks. I'm thinking along the lines that something is wrong with his mix though the extension he built for me is perfect :confused:

RESULT - the postman has just been. The builder has responded with a very appologetic letter.
He's offering to rebuild the wall with a "more durable and frost proof brick" which he will drop off for my approval.
A timeframe of two weeks has been given for the work to commence.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, seems a bit suss this.

You post on here asking for advice and suddenly he agrees to come round and do a proper job. :eek:

Come on, which one of you is it?

:LOL: :LOL:

You've lost me there. Which one of who is what?

In case you're wondering, I don't live in a fantasy world.
There's nothing 'suss' about it.

Lol, we'll see!

He said he was coming on Tuesday with an alternative brick for approval. He's going to remove the existing wall and rebuild.

You've lost me there. Which one of who is what?

In case you're wondering, I don't live in a fantasy world.
There's nothing 'suss' about it.

I wasn't suggesting you do Gary.
I was just jibbing about you posting on here and then getting a response from the builder.
My 'joke, if you like, was that maybe your builder was a poster on here.

Scouse humuor sometimes doesn't come off as well with 'outsiders'.
No offence meant.

Ah, OK.

His letter was dated the 27th April but only arrived today.
I'm glad it did as it looks like its saved me a shed load of hassle.

Thanks. The thing is, he did a great job of the extension. Also, his other work is top notch.

I'm really not sure what happened with the wall.

It's usually better to use an engineering grade brick for the brick on edge course, and a tile creasing under it helps protect the wall.
As you get a fair bit of rain in Manchester, once the water finds it's way through the top into the wall the freeze/thaw cycles take it apart.

It's usually better to use an engineering grade brick for the brick on edge course, and a tile creasing under it helps protect the wall.

Thanks, I'll pass that on.
What do you mean by tile creasing?

EDIT - Is this what you mean (creasing tile)?

Wyboston_PatioBrick.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back