Problem with joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved and found a joist which looks like its cracked in the loft. The ceiling underneath is slightly bowed (plasterboard).

The joist is the second one from the external wall.

My question is what should I do about it? Any suggestions? I was thinking of putting a baton along it for support but its very close to the cross beam which spans the length of the house.

many thanks
View media item 49978 View media item 49979 View media item 49980

Sponsored Links
Could you not sandwich a pair of similar sized joists along side the shake and clamp the whole lot together by fixing through, then fix down through the ceiling binder into the repair pieces?

It is only a loft ceiling after all.

sorry whats a ceiling binder? Should the new joists span the length of the damage and a bit more or should it span a lot more?

Sponsored Links
I would do as 'noseall' says and clamp two 1 metre lengths of 4"x2" either side of the break. With them clamped in place i would drill 4 10mm holes through and using coach bolts with a washer and nut on one end tighten them right up together.

First you will need to hoover underneath the broken joist (In case you need to screw the plasterboard back up to the joist). you will also need to make sure the broken joist isn't pushing down on the ceiling below. You will need to make sure that when you line your broken joist up that it is flat and level with adjacent joists. You may need someone in the room below to push up on the ceiling (or a suitable prop where it is sagging) while you do this repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back