Problem with Lacie 500GB Desktop USB Hard Drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recently, I have been experiencing problems with my Lacie 500GB Desktop USB Hard drive. When I boot up the computer, and power up the hard drive, a green light on the front lights up and the computer recognises the drive. However, after about 5 minutes or so, the light goes off and the drive disappears from "My Computer" and the device manager, and I cannot get it to recognise again. I turn the Lacie drive off at the mains for about 30 seconds and turn it on again. Again it works for about 5 minutes and the same thing happens. I have tried using a different USB cable, tried another power supply (as my brother has exactly the same drive) and tried using it on different computers, but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening? Has the drive come to the end of its life? Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Your computer hasn't the power to power the external hdisk? USB vs USB2?

Ignore Micky.

Sounds like it could be a faulty drive or possibly controller, but it's fairly hard to diagnose with a USB device. If you've got any reasonable (small) computer shops near you, they might be able to properly diagnose it and, if faulty, possibly recover your data.

Ignore Micky.

Sounds like it could be a faulty drive or possibly controller, but it's fairly hard to diagnose with a USB device. If you've got any reasonable (small) computer shops near you, they might be able to properly diagnose it and, if faulty, possibly recover your data.

Why 'Ignore Micky' ?

If the computer's psu isn't powerful enough, has a load of hdisks hanging off it already, and is a 150/200W psu, thru an unpowered hub, why ignore what I say?

It's not hard to diagnose, simply open the external drive, and connect it directly to the computer, via whatever adaptor required.

How rude to suggest that.

Sponsored Links
Ignore Micky.

Why 'Ignore Micky' ?

If the computer's psu isn't powerful enough, has a load of hdisks hanging off it already, and is a 150/200W psu, thru an unpowered hub, why ignore what I say?

Because, being a 3.5" HDD, it will be, and as he already clearly stated, is, externally powered. And if it was a bus-powered hub there'd be absolutely no chance of it ever having worked.

It's not hard to diagnose, simply open the external drive, and connect it directly to the computer, via whatever adaptor required.

Via whatever adapter he doesn't have, using software he doesn't have, and (no offense to him intended, this is simple truth) most likely wouldn't know how to use, nor interpret the results. It's like asking people what their EFLI reading is: They won't have the slightest clue. Correctly diagnosing a faulty HDD and recovering data is not a simple job.

Thank you all to your replies. I've had had the Lacie hard drive now for just over 3 years and it has worked fine until recently on both my PC (using a 400W psu) and Netbook.
I have just gotten a reply from Lacie tech support, and they think it could be power controller board of the enclosure that need repairing. Depending on the repair level, prices start at $99.
If its the power controller board that is the problem, do you guys think I could just take the hard drive out and put it into another external enclosure
Thanks again

If the hdisk is externally powered, and is 3.5", then it it either IDE or SATA, and should plug straight into your computer, or via an easy available convertor available on the high street. Should give more info really, and do some research, but other posters offend.

Sponsored Links
Back