Problem with Magnaclean Pro2 installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've just completed some reworking on a system we have inherited with a house move.
This comprised:-
  • reworking the open vent to give to try & deal with the constant trickle. On the evidence of the state of the pipework, I suspect that this will not be a quick fix, but I've yet to be able to investigate the pipework where the vent & feed join the flow.
  • replacing a leaking rad.
  • swapping valves over
  • installing a drain-off valve to a ground floor rad
  • flushing out a recalcitrant flat panel rad and lastly
  • installing a Pro2 filter.
    This was fitted into the return flowing DOWN to the boiler.
    According to Adey, the filter is bi-directional, so this should be ok.
However!!! - on switching the system back on, the boiler fired up with the temp rising to 90+ & the pump making a bit of a noise. On dialling the temp back & pump back to 1, the boiler fires up, rises to 60+, the flow pipe within the casing gets hot but there is NO flow!
So, I have a system, the components of which appear to work - but not as a whole.
Can anybody shed some light on where the problem might lie?
ps the boiler is a Greenstar FS30cdi.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could just be airlocked.

although I've seen Magnacleans come out the factory with the valves on the wrong way round where by they both say there in the open position, but ones actually in the off position. May be worth trying moving them one at a time while the pumps on and see if theres some noise of water movement

Dan -you got my hopes up there! But, just checked and they are in-line

Sponsored Links
SGM - worth a punt, tho it would seem a major mfg glitch if it is that. I'll investigate.

SGM - tried that test and there's no sign of water flow. Also tested the valves by venting the cap.

Blocked cold feed..the constant trickle was it pushing water round the vent. You could reverse fill on a drainoff.

Daily report.
After such a cold night, decided to call in the cavalry. Problem was a major airlock but the system is now up & running - allbeit very lacklustre.
As I thought would happen, still have the constant trickle. So, it looks as if I will need to lift some boards and investigate.
MrB - reverse filling may be a way forward. Failing that there might be a case for some heavy duty flushing - any thoughts?

SitRep
System now in state when we first powered up the htg. When we moved in ALL rads were closed down at both ends, so we've had a devil of a job to get heat around the house. As usual most of the upstairs rads get heat, but the two legs down to the most important rads ie dining rm; sitting rm & hall are as cold as a witches proverbial.
Turning down/off the hot rads only results in the trickle over - the pump finding an easier route.
We have had heat in these previously, but it was luck more than management - just constant adjustment of hot rads to ease flow along.
At the moment (with the cold snap over), going to carry to on with the 'gentle' encouragement; clean out the pro2 & see how we go.
Failing that, might try and purge the two cold rads at the end of downstairs 'legs'.
Any other suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back