Problem with Mains Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but now I seriously need some help so thought I would register. Really would appreciate any help you can give.

I just moved into a new house, and we have a small store room. The water boiler is in the store room, however as it is quite spacious I decided to put a freezer in it. Problem is there is no power supply.

Next to the boiler, there a socket sized white panel (like a power socket, but without the switch and the plug holes). I am thinking this could be used to put a power socket in its place. I removed the blank panel and the wiring behind the panel is similar to the picture.

Two questions:

1. Can i use this to put in a power socket.
2. What do the wires represent, as the wires colours are not standard!

I can provide more info if required

Sponsored Links
You could install a lightswitch there, but not a socket.

A light was obviously switched from there at somepoint (as well as somwhere else), but someone decided to remove the swith and leave it with just one

That looks like the control wiring for the boiler to me, especially with it being in flex.

What is that accessory to the right?

There should be a fused spur for the boiler which you may be able to use

Thanks Adam_151

johno12345 said:
That looks like the control wiring for the boiler to me, especially with it being in flex.

What is that accessory to the right?

There should be a fused spur for the boiler which you may be able to use

Johno, there indeed is a fused spur. Like the one in the image below.

fused_spur.jpg

How can I use this? (don't worry, if its too technical I'm going to get an electrician, but I want to see if I can get it done first)

Sponsored Links
You need to identify what circuit that fused spur is on. If the house is new or has been rewired recently the boiler may have its own circuit from the consumer unit. It also may be connected to the general socket ring instead. If there are 2 sets of wires into the terminals on the supply side you should be able to take a spur from this to another socket. If there is only 1 set then it is either already a spur or is on its own circuit. What size MCB protects this circuit? 16A, 32A?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back