WIRING POWER SOCKET

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I WANT TO PUT A POWER SOCKET INTO A ROOM WHICH CURRENTLY HAS NO POWER SOCKETS. IT HAS LIGHTING. CAN I SPUR OF THE SUPPLY TO THE LIGHTS FOR THE POWER SOCKET?

Sponsored Links
To expand on Pugwash's comment with some helpful advice: No you can't take power for sockets from the lighting circuit. You will need a seperat circuit wired back to a separate MCB in the consumer unit. You will need an electrician to do this.

Is there a socket on the adjoining wall in the next room?

Sponsored Links
a complete new circuit is probablly not nessacery but we need to know what the rest of your wiring is like before we can advise further

Firstly, turn off your Caps Lock
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/JohnD_UK/CAPLOCK.jpg

Then, test the socket you mention to see that it is live

Then turn off the power to that circuit and test that socket again to see that it is dead.

Then, remove the socket and see how many wires it has. With luck, there will be two cables, each with one red, one black, and one green/yellow.

Use your multimeter to test for continuity between the two reds, the two blacks, and the two G&Ys. If you haven't already got a multimeter walk up to the high street and buy one for about £10.

Report back here with what you find.

What are the two rooms? Stores, bedrooms, bathrooms, living rooms, kitchens? Are they both in your house or is one of them an outbuilding?

the 2 rooms are kitchen into utility room.

i want all of the cables to be surface mounted as i don't want to mess up the kitchen.

the extra socket is for a tumble dryer and a chest freezer.

Then, test the socket you mention to see that it is live

Then turn off the power to that circuit and test that socket again to see that it is dead.

Then, remove the socket and see how many wires it has. With luck, there will be two cables, each with one red, one black, and one green/yellow.

Use your multimeter to test for continuity between the two reds, the two blacks, and the two G&Ys. If you haven't already got a multimeter walk up to the high street and buy one for about £10.

Report back here with what you find.

the socket is live.

the socket is not live when the power is turned off.

there are 2 black wires, 2 red wires and 2 copper wires with rubber sleeving over them.

the continuity tests will tell you if it is part of a ring and if you can take a spur off it.

Guys- Why haven't we thought about isolating the circuit at the CU before taking socket faceplate from the wall to look at the wiring !!

Not safe for the OP to do that, say the wires pop out due to a loose connection, it's live :LOL:

If the OP is about I'd suggestion you turn the circuit FUSE at the FUSE board OFF before testing continuity from the socket

:rolleyes: :eek:

OP are you still with us :?:

what did you think "Then turn off the power to that circuit and...." meant?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back