problem with newly skimmed ceiling – nail popping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new kitchen fitted. The original ceiling was very bad so we had to have a new ceiling put in. It's been up for 4 weeks now and it's been painted – first coat 5:1 water mix and 4 coats of wickes kitchen paint. I noticed what looked like 2 bubbles of paint. I got worried becasue i thought there was a leak above so I cut them out (50p size) . When I cut them out the plaster came off to reveal nail heads. Is this common for the plaster to failunder these? How can I sort this problem out?

I was going to seal them with PVA then polyfill and then a few coats of paint. Please letme know asap becasue I'm worried about this new ceiling. I'm just very worried that if this has happened in two places so far, it's going tohappen in other places.

Sponsored Links
You will need to slightly push the cieling in sections to see if there is any more "bouncing" of the gyproc cieling.

If any more nails/screws push through, then you will need to hammer (if nails) in. If screws, then you will need to screw them in.

Then i would check the whole cieling, as explained in paragraph one, and screw in more screws. This should strengthen the gyproc adhesion to the jiosts.

What has happened to you is common in relation to Kitchen & Bathrooms. As there is so many different things going on in them i.e. cooking (steam) & radiator heat etc. This can cause the reactions in your cieling.

What did you use to first coat your cieling with anyways ?

Nailheads popping is only too comon, specially on new skimmed ceilings and walls.
What I find works for me is if I see they are on the way to pop, I will scrape the plaster away, and fill, when I have sanded it back, I dab a bit of PVA on it, if its still proud, fill again, and PVA again, then paint, this seems to hold it back and stop the plaster from popping around them.

What did you use to first coat your cieling with anyways ?

I used 5:1 water/paint – not pva which may be a mistake?

So it doesn't sound like a serious problem then? WouldI be right in thinking that this isonly a short term problemi.e. if any more popping willoccur it should occur within the nest few weeks?

becasuse this is a kitchen should I have applied a pva seal first? if I should have is there any way to resolve this?

Sponsored Links
Due to your 5:1 water/paint, then never ever apply wallcovering to the cieling.

Never put PVA anywhere near on the surface of Plaster. PVA turns white when wet. This can cause terrible reactions in an Kitchen.

Fill your nails/screws with Polycell Trade Polyfilla One Fill. No need to PVA prior to filling with Polycell Trade Polyfilla One Fill.

Cheers for your quick valid replies. I'm a toatl novice when it comes to this sort of thing so I'd rather just wait and see if any more develop. I'm just worried about how likely any more are to develop. In an area 3m x 5m I've had 3 so far.

Good idea.

Also, Polycell Trade Polyfilla One Fill dries in flexible.

Just heard today that apparently the popping is due to:

In order to turn off the water supply to our house you have to do it in the loft.In order to access the supply you have to walkacross the bare joists which hold the ceiling. Aprrently it's this action which has popped some nails and apparently it won't happen again untill the next time someone needs toaccess the cut-off. We are going to get the loft boarded so the weight is distributed more evenly. Does this explanation make sense or have I been fed a load of bull?

I dont know about that, but I always encounter nail popping every time I have a job that involves a new ceiling, I am used to it, this is why I do what I do, as sometimes you can fill it, and further down the line they will pop again.
I find that using the PVA only on the the bits I filled over the nails seems to hold it.
I have been back to clients house to do another job, and I would have a quick look at the ceiling to see if any nails have popped since I did it last, and so far none havent. :D

The galvanising pushes the skim off. it dont stick to well. The best way to avoid it is to use screws instead of large felt nails. this will stop any flex in the ceiling. They are smaller and stronger. takes abit longer but worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back