Problem with one radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can help, we have a radiator in our living room which during cold weather seems to struggle in maintaining room temperature above 21C.

First, a bit of background, We replaced an aging (inefficient) back boiler with a new Vaillant EcoTec 824 (recommendation of an EPC) which was then sited in a different room. As part of this job, the attached fire (attached to said back-boiler) was removed and a new radiator (sized to match the room) was installed under a nearby window (ie the fire in the fireplace was replaced by a radiator under a window on the front of the house). The window in question (like the rest of the house) is double glazed.

In installing the new radiator, it was connected to the pipe-work from the back-boiler (its flow/return pipes I assume) running diagonally under the floorboards from the radiator to the point original location of the pipe-work (ie from the window to the fireplace). The floor in question is a suspended wooden floor which are ventilated by floor level air-bricks. Neither the floor nor the pipes under the floor are insulated at present.

Questions at this point are: Firstly, should they (the floor and/or the pipe-work) be insulated or should we have run the pipe-work above the floor? ...and secondly, was it a good/bad idea to run the radiator of this pipe-work or should it have been run off an existing radiator?

If I turn off nearly all radiators in the house except the newly installed radiator and one or two others (like the bathroom towel rail) the living room still struggles to get above 21C and the radiator generally feels warm not hot, as far as I can feel there are no drafts. This is when we have 19Kw of radiator power running 2-3 radiators - something is obviously not right considering that the pipes leaving the new boiler are scaldingly hot and the boiler states a temperature of 75C.

If I then turn up the other radiators the other rooms heat up but there is very little difference to the living room temperature.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sadie.

Sponsored Links
Yes you should insulate any pipework if you can.The heat lost in pipework is less heat where its needed
The old pipework could be blocked with sludge,but unlikely that bad to not run one radiator
Obviously check BOTH valves are fully open and no air in rad :)
21C ! Thats tropical I run mine at 16C

was/is there an anti-gravity valve in the old flow, beside the chimney breast, these are very restrictive and often reduce the flow to a mere trickle.

Sponsored Links
"anti-gravity valve" ... absolutely no idea, we got some guys to fit the system and I wouldn't know what one looks like let alone whether one is/was present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back