Problem with plaster on internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am very new to this sort of thing, in my first home, so please be nice and don't use to much technical jargon!

I live in a fairly old building which at one point or another was split up and converted into flats.

I've been re-decorating the bedroom and discovered an issue on one of the internal walls.

I took the old wallpaper off, sanded etc the plaster on the wall (Which was in pretty reasonable condition, no flaking or anything like that) and painted the wall white.

Within a week, this horrible, green stuff had started appearing on the wall. It's not damp to the touch, but that is obviously what it is.

Now, I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure it's got an old fire place underneath it - because my upstairs neighbor has an old fireplace uncovered in his living room directly above where this wall is in my bedroom.

I've been thinking that it might be worth trying to see what is underneath this plastering (It seems to be almost hollow in some places?) but I'm quite nervous as I have never attempted anything like this by myself before (Only ever when helping my dad when I was younger)

So what I'm asking really is - Any ideas as to what could be causing this? And any suggestions on what to do about it? Someone people have said to put PVA sealer on it (HA HA HA) but I can see that's a stupid idea as it would simply seal in the moisture and make the problem worse?!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If there is a sealed up fireplace behind it with no ventilation then it could well be damp.

It is normally OK to take the plaster off and see what is behind it. It could sound hollow if the fireplace was boarded up and then skimmed.

Hmmm okay. I'll try doing it in a corner or something just to see if I can see what is behind.... Hopefully if I pull the plaster / plaster board down I'll be able to get to the route of the problem. Thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back