Problem with Potterton Kingfisher 2 and EP 2002 controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

Wondered if anyone had experience of this old relic from a bygone era??

I recently had the three port valve changed as well as the controller on this system. The old one was missing one of the sliders, plus the valve never seemed to open for heating, and the spindle sheared off when I took the head off and tried to turn with pliers.

The new controller is new-ish (ie used) but looks great! White and not yellow, and with both buttons!

However, it doesn’t seem to like timer mode. We tried both Hw and CH on timer. And them HW on Constant and CH on timer. The heating only comes on when you switch hot water to off and then switch heating on. You can then switch the hot water on but for some reason with both on timer, only hot water seems to get hot. Very strange, esp as I thought these valves allowed you to do both at once, even if the controller won’t let you set them up to come on separately!

I wondered whether there was a pressure issue because the plumber bunged the tank with tissue rather than drain properly before changing the valve. But the fact that it seems to come on fine when switched manually suggests pressure should be ok. Hot water works as well once heating is on. Just doesnt work on timer, even though the light comes on!

what do we think? Can’t be the valve esp as it’s new and works on manual? Possibly a wiring fault maybe ? or a dodgy second hand controller...?? All suggestions welcome!

Sponsored Links
Possible wiring fault or 3 port fitted wrong way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back