Problem with Range Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a relatively new (6 months) Range cooker which has 3 ovens, one of which has a problem.
No matter what temperature is set on the dial the oven heats up to maximum and does not switch off - although the heating indicator light switches off at the temperature set on the dial.

I have no experience of how the thermostat switch/s work on these but guess some sort of tepm relay is killing power to the temperature light but not the heater.

Can anyone help me with understanding what might be going on?

Sponsored Links
If its only 6 months old get supplier to fix under warranty

It is a result of a discussion with the supplier that I would like to get an understanding of how the oven temperature light and element are controlled - so once again I ask if anyone can explain this for me.

Element controlled by thermostat at back of oven sending signal to oven control switch at front of cooker. If power is required to the element to heat the oven (depending on what temp has been selected) then switch operates to on and off if heat not required. Included in the circuit at the switch will be a feed off to the neon light that will operate when power sent to the the element. As to the exact circuitry of the switch, well thats magic.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, so it sounds like my problem is the switch because the oven temp light goes off at the set temperature, but the oven continues heating up.

Are the control switches a common part for all range cookers, or do they vary according to the oven manufacturer?

I ask because the supplier has offered to either collect the oven and give me a full refund and for us to buy a new one, or to give me a 'discount' to cover the cost of my getting it fixed locally (which may not be easy or cheap because of our location).

Last edited:
I think they are cooker specific but no doubt some are common to different cookers. I got one for my Rangemaster cooker last year for about £35, espares I think but google oven switches and have your model number etc to hand

The neon light should go out when the oven reaches temperature. If its illuminated all the time it's faulty.

It's very common to have an appliance wired up wrong from new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back