Problem With Roof Load onto Steels in loft conversion

Sponsored Links
Yes I looked on Planning Portal and found the info I was looking for, It' works out more expensive than Kingspan but this way you put them right over the rafters and leave the 50mm air gap behind without having to make your excisting rafters larger.

Superfoil SF40 multilayer foil is the name of it.

Don't forget the 35mm battens underneath either! ;)

They're website suggests you need 50mm Kingspan too in order to comply :!:

Insulation is not a problem as I have the space blanket insulation and not kingspan due to keeping as much head height as poss. I believe that middle purlin is carrying the majority of the middle section of weight and just believe I need to support that purlin at differnet points as much as poss we have a stud wall coming off a brick internal wall from the first floor upto the purlin in the middle of the loft thus seperating the loft into 2 large sections. We are alos doing hte same off internal birck walls at one end as we are having fitted wardrobes the problem is the other end as their are no walls underneath to pack off to go upto the purlin.
Why are you so desperate to keep the bloody purlin :?: :!: You''ve probably already got 50x100 rafters. Another 50x100 alongside, maybe a 50x125 will almost certainly mean you can get rid of the purlin and then you don't have to go throught all the hassle of resupporting it. At worst you lose 25mm...
Give me the distance between the lower purlin and the ridge, and the current rafter size and I'll do the calc for you :!:

Sponsored Links
[/quote]
Why are you so desperate to keep the bloody purlin :?: :!: You''ve probably already got 50x100 rafters. Another 50x100 alongside, maybe a 50x125 will almost certainly mean you can get rid of the purlin and then you don't have to go throught all the hassle of resupporting it. At worst you lose 25mm...
Give me the distance between the lower purlin and the ridge, and the current rafter size and I'll do the calc for you :!:[/quote]

Thanks for the replies you have given on my thread, I will get you those measurements tomorrow I am just worried of taking out the purlins and the roof sagging in as the bloody SE did not calculate the weight going to the steels. So by sistering the rafters from the lower purlin to the ridge that shoudl support the roof structure? I am not worried about the lower section as I have noggins going upfrom the steels to the lower purlin it was the weight of the middle section pushing inwards which is why I was planning the small stud walls from internal walls upto the middle purlin.

Thanks for the replies you have given on my thread, I will get you those measurements tomorrow I am just worried of taking out the purlins and the roof sagging in as the bloody SE did not calculate the weight going to the steels. So by sistering the rafters from the lower purlin to the ridge that shoudl support the roof structure? I am not worried about the lower section as I have noggins going upfrom the steels to the lower purlin it was the weight of the middle section pushing inwards which is why I was planning the small stud walls from internal walls upto the middle purlin.
I understand your concern, and if it was simplest solution to resupport the purlin, I'd be right there with you. But it seems that resupporting the purlins is pretty difficult to do, whereas strengthening the rafters is relatively simple.
As long as the beams are supported at mid span by a load bearing wall - as you say they will be - I can guarantee that they can take the extra weight, and I can also guarantee that as long as the new rafters are designed and installed correctly, your roof will not sag.
I expect that BC will still want to see some calcs though, but your SE should be doing them for nothing as a gesture of good will, if nothing else.

Pictures of current Progress

027-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

031-1.jpg

I see a small problem,

you have not painted the steel in red oxcide paint.

I would have also doubled the rafters and left them single.

I see a small problem,

you have not painted the steel in red oxcide paint.

I would have also doubled the rafters and left them single.
Respectfully ibby, I would suggest you try not to embarrass yourself too much.

I know and jeds done a pretty good job of it, no need for my input there. Though I don't really understand your last post in that thread.

Really though if you employed a decent professional instead of the buffoon you seem to have employed this would all be taken care of.

I know and jeds done a pretty good job of it, no need for my input there. Though I don't really understand your last post in that thread.

Really though if you employed a decent professional instead of the buffoon you seem to have employed this would all be taken care of.

I am not knocking his work!

I always get with the bauffons! :(

edit - this is my 2nd guy, I have already sacked one!

I am not knocking his work!

I always get with the bauffons! :(

edit - this is my 2nd guy, I have already sacked one!
Sack this one then he will cause you no end of grief and you will be on DIYnot double checking his work and having to rap his knuckles on everything he does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back