Problem with water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever come across the following picture in a residential water supply

It’s like black plastic bag material.
This stuff initially was causing my loo to not shut off and I have been cleaning the stuff out every couple of weeks.

Now I’ve found it in the washing machine inlet pipe and various taps in the bathrooms. Plus the kitchen.

Could this be coming from a meter replacement I had a few months back?

I’m at a loss to work out where it’s coming from.

Incidentally, all of the toilet components were changed a few weeks back as I thought that was the issue. Didn’t make any difference though.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Call your supplier and send them a photo of the bits. They’ll need to investigate.
Also, ask your neighbors if they are finding similar.

Sponsored Links
The meter fitters may have used a plastic bag to protect the open pipe when excavating the hole and not removed it properly!

Just thought I’d add that the water co have been and can’t explain it. They unscrewed the meter and found it on the inside of it too so swapped it out.

Will be an interesting phone call when they report findings.

Pleased it’s from outside though rather than something in the house.

I thought the meter was swapped originally but looks like the original leak was not it so they put the old un back in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back