Problems with cold water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a top (2nd) floor flat and about 4 seperate times in the past 2 weeks in the mornings the cold water supply has been poor before cutting out altogether - usually when the second person in the house has their shower. There is then no water supply to the washing machine, toilet cistern, bathroom or kitchen taps although by the afternoon the water tank appears to have filled up again and works like normal. Nothing appears to be leaking and the hot water supply works fine - the hot water comes from an overnight storage (economy 7) heater. I've also checked the mains tap and that seems to be OK. I've spoken to a couple of neighbours on the floor below - one says their water is OK and the other who lives directly below says that he has very poor water pressure but no problems with the actual supply. Please can someone advise what might be the problem, and if I need to get a plumber out, or if this might be a waterboard problem. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
First check that your stop cocks are fully open, outside one and internal. If they are then it sounds as though the supply in your street is low and as you are on the second floor there is no pressure left to supply you when any other flat is using the water at peak times. Waterboard call I would think.

the water board will be able to check the flow and pressure rate from outside the building. if it is to low then its the water boards problem.

The water board only have a responsibility to supply water to a working pressure of 9l/min @ 1bar(10 metres/head) at the boundary - this is usually adequate to provide water to a 1st floor level or fill a loft tank. If you live on the second floor then they may just brush you off and tell you to install a tank&booster setup...

Sponsored Links
i work for northumbrian water up in newcastle, and i know this water board has to provide enough water pressure at the tap, not just the boundary. ( not sure of the pressure's )
phone them, its worth a try, the worst they can say is "no"

dom2466 said:
i work for northumbrian water
In what capacity?

I know this water board has to provide enough water pressure at the tap, not just the boundary.
The industry standard of 9 litres/minute at a working pressure of 10 metres head (1bar), as set by the regulator, is measured at the boundary - this is universal. For simplicity Water Co's "adopt" the first incoming cold tap as the pressure cannot be any better here than at the boundary. It is deemed that if standards are met at first tap then they are being met at the boundary.

( not sure of the pressure's )
But you are sure of the point of measurement?

phone them, its worth a try, the worst they can say is "no"
I agree. But just to set the OP's expectations that it may not be the Water Co's problem.

I believe I misread your first post. If the pressure/flow levels are not adequate at the boundary then it is their problem to resolve - for this I apologise.

Thats a lot higher than I get in my S-T property where there is 6 li/min open tap!

Do you really mean 9 li/min with a dynamic pressure of 1 bar ???

The inspector told me the 6 li/min was within their parameters!

Its fed from the next door house across the back garden.

What was very annoying was they upgraded the street main without giving me my own new connection.

Any suggestions?

Tony

Agile said:
Thats a lot higher than I get in my S-T property where there is 6 li/min open tap!

Do you really mean 9 li/min with a dynamic pressure of 1 bar ???

The inspector told me the 6 li/min was within their parameters!

Its fed from the next door house across the back garden.

What was very annoying was they upgraded the street main without giving me my own new connection.

Any suggestions?

Tony

Tony, you've done this one to death...

If you wanted a new connection you'd have had to lay your pipe out there first (but they never tell people beforehand that it would be a good idea).

Don't know where the figure of 6 l/min came from but if you're not getting 9 l/min at the point where the pipe leaves the public highway to enter your neighbours garden then you are below guaranteed standards.

Stop being tight and pay for a new pipe, money you plumbing&heating guys are on... :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back