Problem with wooden flooring fixed over underfloor heating.

Great advise Simon

We do need to counter the NHBC report, i don't think this is going to take much effort though. They will dig their own hole by the bits of their report you have put above.

Sid Bourne is expensive by all means contact him but do what Simon and i have said then it will not go to court and no need to get Sid involved. If your have really had enough of it and want to sit back, put your feat up and make the builders pay more then this is the best option.

The filling out of the county court forms and just sending them to the builder with a letter backing up is wonderful i have done this a few times with non paying customers and it always works.

If you need an opinion from an expert just ask and i will put it in a letter and i'm sure i could get one or two from my suppliers for you.

I would not give the builder the opportunity to put your floor right though, not now, if it was when the problems first occurred then yes but your years down the line of living with his mistakes and excuses. You don't have to use him.

You can do this by your self, you have come here for good advise (help is here all the time) all you have to do is write the letters that have been suggested.

It may take one or two letters with the threat of county court and I know you will get the right ending and soon have a lovely wood floor!

Were you in the house or do you remember the floor being fitted, in particular the acclimatisation of the wood? The wood needs to be on site for two weeks before fitting with the heating gradually turned up when underfloor heating is concerned. This is very important and is another thing that could make a stronger case against the builder.

Sponsored Links
Thank you again Howard and also Simon for your IT!! input. I am a little overwhelmed with your friendly help and support at the moment, my confidence is growing but I know l still have a long battle ahead. All this information you have given me will keep me busy.
I do have a colleague (Alan Davis "decorator") helping me as I had given up completely and he put me back on track. Its his "DIYnot" site that I am using to contact you.

Four things, (1) there is no underlay (2) It is tongue and grooved, the oak just sits on top of the MDF and one side of the oak helps form the groove. (3) the bottom of the MDF facing the cement screed looks as though each individual board was glued with a small tongued flat trowel (approx 6mm comb) (4) The reason why you thought it was underlay-ed was the the glue was so minimal it didn't even reach the floor on this particular board.

I really do appreciate your help, truly reassuring.
Mary

Hi, this is Alan, colleague/friend of Mary.

I must thank you all for your help and advice ( this lady really needs it) I only met Mary through my work and right from the start I could see she was a lady in need of help, I also want to prove that we are not all rouges in the building trade and I must say that your response is proving it.
We are going to take your advice and try what you (Howard & Simon) have suggested. We would also like to take advantage of the offer of a letter from you and your suppliers as experts in this field if possible. My contact is :- [email protected]
Look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Mary/Alan, I have no input to offer you except Good Luck and I'm sure with the advice from Howard and Simon you are going to be pleased with the result.
Let us know how things are going so these two gentlemen can offer advice if needed.
Good Luck to you.

HOWARD
Sorry to pursue you but I am in fear of loosing contact with you as you have been such a big help. I left a message for you a few days ago leaving my e-mail address. I would welcome your offer of an opinion of this problem in the form of a letter. Look forward to a reply even if you are unable to give further help.

Regards
Alan

Hi
I have just come across this post and while it might be too late for the original poster I hope it might help
I have worked with a floor similar to this it was 14mm as opposed to 18mm but looks the same it was branded Delta. A HDF base with a natural hardwood finish, it has a click system same as laminate flooring, as shown in one of your pictures.
I believe this floor is only to be installed as a floating floor; it is suitable for UFH when the instructions are followed,
My opinion would be floor was glued down before heating was turned on with no allowances for moisture. When concrete dried out HDF soaked it up transferred to oak which tried to move and expand causing a failure of the bond with HDF
As with most floors the manufacture will be well covered in his fitting instructions the blame will lay with the installer or builder for not making sure site and floor conditions were right and installing against flooring instructions,
Anyway that’s just my opinion
I hope it all worked out well for you

It's 10 months since this op last posted, I wonder if its all been concluded?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back