Problems after replacing Pump and 3 port valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to replace the pump because the radiators downstairs were cold and the pump was noisy.Another problem was , i could hear a clicking sound from the 3 port valve (danfoss) and when trying to switch it manually the lever was very stiff and hard to move.
So i drained the system and replaced pump (grunfoss) and valve.i then refilled the system and bled ,downstairs first.The boiler came on for about 5 mins then stopped. the pipes going in and out of the pump were hot but after that, they are just warm .I also noticed that when i switch the CH and Water off at the programmer the pump keeps running , is this normal?.
Now the boiler doesnt want to fire up.

Is there a special procedure to bleed or replace the 3 port valve. I asumed it was a simple replacement like for like. Electrically it seems to work ok.
Ive replaced the pump before some years ago with no probs so i assume it must be something to do with the valve.
Many Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Have you bled the pipe work above the pump in the cylinder cupboard?...Boiler probably has a pump overrun on it which is why the pump still runs for a few mins after demand has ceased.

Sponsored Links
Aswell as venting the rads you need to vent the pump/pipe work above the pump in the cylinder cupboard (if thats the set up you have)...

Ill drain it down tommorrow and try again. Fingers crossed.

The pump wasnt stopping after i switch off at the programmer.I didnt leave it too long(5-10 mins maybe) because i thought it was a problem, i had never noticed that before.So i switched off just in case.

Is there a certain position for the 3 point valve when draining down and refilling?

How do you bleed the pipework above the pump?

Thanks..

Don't waste time draining down again...Take a look at the "Air Lock in Central Heating - New TRV's Just Fitted" thread currently on page 2 and in particular KevPlumbs posts where he has included some photos that show what I have attempted to describe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back