Problems with a low voltage light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a single 12v 10W halogen light in a kitchen display cabinet. It recently stopped working. First, I tried replacing the bulb, without success. I've now tried replacing the transformer (originally a 135 VA transormer) with a couple of others (a 20-60VA transformer then a 0-70 VA transformer).

The nearest I've got to success is that when I use the 20-60VA transformer the bulb repeatedly goes on faintly for an instant then goes off for a couple of seconds - which at least shows that power is reaching the light fitting. It also seems to indicate that the transformer is cutting out.

It's impossible to get at the wiring immediately behind the light fitting, since the wiring goes straight through the top of the cabinet, into the ceiling.

I've noticed that where the transformer is (underneath the cabinet) the low voltage side has a series of 3 see-through plastic connectors, each connected to each other by short pieces of wire. Are these likely to be capacitors or resistors ? They have no markings on them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Phil

Sponsored Links
they are not resistors or capacitors. More likely crimped connections. Post a picture if you can.

for your info, the 20-60VA tranny is overrated - it is for 20 to 60w of load, you only have 10w. This is why it was cutting out.

I suggest you check all the connections, right up to the light, from the source. You must be able to get at the back of the light - if it is flush mounted - and doesn't stick out, it should just pull out - it uses spring clips to grip the back of the ceiling.

This access point is critical - sometimes the heat can affect the wires here and cause loose connections.

Many thanks for your advice, the connection at the back of the bulb holder was dodgy - the 0-70VA transformer now works fine!

Regards,

Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back