low voltage lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again, one other job left to do in the kithchen is to install low voltage lighting under some wall cabinets and in some of them too. i've renewed the kitchen ring main and included a fcu ready to connect the transformer which will bee hidden in a wall cabinet. the problem is i'm not sure where to go from here. I have looked in all the DIY shops and they all sell low voltage lighting kits but the problem with all that i have seen is that the wire between lights is often too short for the route i wish to take with the wire. I need to be able to connect 6 lights, the first 3 will be at 1mtr intervals, so far so good, but then i need to be able to hide the wire behind the kithchen units over a distance of about 3mtrs and then connect the remaining 3 at 1mtr intervals again. ive thought about buying the low voltage lights,transformer and cable seperatly but i'm unsure what grade of transformer i require and what sort of cable i should be using. A freind told me i should be using 1mil two core which sounds ok as long as i can loop it from light to light, instead of connecting to the transformer for each light. Obviously the less cable used the easier it is to hide. I was thinking of using 6x20watt lights or 6x 10 watt, either should give the desired effect. Does this make any sense to anyone :?:

Sponsored Links
I put 12V halogens under my kitchen cupboards - spaced at about 30cm. I think if you space them at 1m you will get an interesting spotlit/dark effect. Also, at that height above the worktop, 20W is VERY BRIGHT. Having lived with them a couple of years, mine are now reverting to 10W as they need replacing.
And once you have fitted the halogens, don't keep butter on the shelf just above them unless you like it melted.

thanks for the advise about the butter! 10 watts it is then.Did you buy all the components separately or did you buy a ready to go kit :?: Is there no solution to this problem, should i forget my plans and opt for something simpler :?:

Well my solution was a tad wimpish to confess here - I got a lot of three-light fittings half-price in a sale. It's worth looking at kitchen showrooms to get a feel for what the various options actually look like.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back