Problems with Baxi/Potterton Promax 24HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi/Potterton Promax 24HE (GC 41 590 62) which was installed by BG at least 8 years ago. It was maintained (not very well IMO) by BG for 5 years, but is now showing a few problems. [The CH is a traditional open vent non-TRV system.]

The flow switch failed - I have a replacement ready to fit. It needs a new electrode kit - has typical symptoms of lockout following 5 failed ignition attempts, and occasionally after ignition the flame is not detected so it immediately powers down and reignites. And it needs new combustion box seals. These problems I know are not major, and are worth fixing. However, it has recently developed a leak which I am less happy about having fixed, and additionally the fan is not running smoothly - possibly dry bearings? - sounds to be running slow, vibrates and squeaks.

The leak appears to be coming from the heat x manifold (on the right side, between the air box side and the PCB enclosure). It dribbles onto the gas injector pipe where it enters the gas valve, and then down into the air box base. I can't be certain that is the source of the leak - but I can't see where else it comes from. It's definitely not the condensate, and no sign of any leak around the burner seal. Also, it is much worse when the boiler is cold - I think it may stop completely when hot.

The fan problem may have been caused by the water leak - there is some sign that the water may have dribbled onto the fan casing and gone through the fan seal.

What I'd like to know is, is this worth fixing? A replacement fan and possibly heat x are rather a lot to pay for - would I be better off having a new boiler? And if so, any suggestions as to a reliable model which would fit the same profile, without needing major plumbing?

Sponsored Links
baxi-potterton, I believe, do a fixed price repair which would more than likely be your best option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back