Problems with drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a property two years ago which had a very old extension attached to the back. I made renovations to the extension as instructed by my mortgage company and, having done so, have now discovered that the original extension was built over a drain and I have been informed by Building Regs that if permission has not been obtained from the water company that they could potentially pull down the extension! Could someone give me some advice on how to proceed from here?

Sponsored Links
Not very likely: it's commonplace. Wouldn't necessarily get away with it with a new extension though.

This is where the difficulty arises - the old extension has been replaced by a new extension because my mortgage company set a proviso that the old extension be replaced before they would give us the monies to purchase.

so, have you renovated the old extension or built a completely new one? :confused:

and, if you have built a new one, to what extent?

new foundations? same footprint? were building control/planning informed from the outset?

Sponsored Links
The extension was torn down and rebuilt from scratch and I think the basic assumption was that because we had been asked to do so by our mortgage company we wouldn't need planning - especially as the extension is hardly any bigger than the original. Also, because the new extension was between 40 and 60 cubic metres we were informed by people we assumed were well informed that we would not require planning.

Building regs visited us recently because they had received an anonymous tip from someone about the works. Because we have been in the property for over 12 months Building Regs have told us there is little they will do, as obviously it has been up for that long and we have experienced no difficulties with it. However, they said that we may experience difficulties because the extension is over a drain. I know now that we should have organised a Building over a Sewer Agreement, but seeing as we have been in the house for over 12 months can the water company cause difficulties, especially as the original extension had already been there for over 20 years and the new extension has retained the original footprint?

I know we may seem stupid but we were first time buyers and with hindsight we were just incredibly naive. :(

so, you have built a new extension and not gained any approval visits from b.c.?

do you ever intend selling the property? :eek:

you also say "hardly bigger". i guess this means bigger, right?

did you use the existing foundations or pour new?

------------------------------------------------

apart from the above, you should not build over a public sewer without permission. gaining permission is costly and rigorous but commonplace. i do not know how you may gain retro-permission but i'm sure it has been done in the past.

probably.

if not, be prepared for an expensive lesson. building control and planning are hardly clandestine offices. naive does not begin to describe your actions.

are you blind mute Eastern Europeans? :rolleyes: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back