Water Company problem with Flat Drainage - Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I received a letter (9/1) from Wessex Water relating to a Granny Flat built as an extension to my property in 1988. The letter questions a drain from the flat that services shower, toilet, kitchen & bathroom sinks.
As part of a routine survey, Wessex Water has identified the drain is connected to a storm drain rather than foul water drain.

The Flat construction was subject to the Buildings Act 1984, and Building Regs 1985.

Along with this, various inspections by the Local Authority were undertaken, the final one being June 1998. A completion Certificate was then issued.

In discussion with the Water Company, 90 days notice has been given in order for me to fix the problem - although the construction and relevant drainage was deemed satisfactory to Building Regs etc.

Both the Water Company and the Council have advised me to go to my insurer - who has refused to help.

The cost of this would be in excess of £4k, and I do not think I am responsible for the cost.

Could you please let me know if there are any procedures for me to follow to return the cost to the parties who agreed the original, constructed drainage system

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My bit -
I don't see where you get a quote for 4 grand?
You can hire a digger plus driver for about £250 per day.
Find the drain first - obviously - and dig to it.
Connect pipe/inspection chamber/fittings etc - £200 tops.
Bit of tarmac/concrete - job done.
Then again, have they checked your existing drain properly?
I was told I couldn't connect my rainwater drain to my foul water drain, and would need to dig a soakaway.
My brickie informed me that the existing rainwater drain had a U bend in, which meant it went to the fouls water drain.
This meant i could connect my new rainwater drains to the foul water.
Building Control agreed.
In the surveys, did they discover something along those lines?
If they approved it, they must have had good reason at the time.
As far as I know, regulations in all their forms are not retrospective.
There'd be a hell of a lot of builders etc out there working 24 hours a day to put them right if there were.
Before anyone corrects me, I'm talking in general terms, mostly.
I know there are dangerous stuff regards gas etc that must be upgraded.
I wouldn't have thought in this instance that something passed fairly recently, not dangerous, would come under that remit.
Then again, I have been drinking. ;)

Nearly 20 years with a toilet discharging "solids" :eek: and the water co have only just found it`s going to a storm only drain... :LOL: :LOL: that`s what they are doing to you M8 :LOL: and taking the **** too Routine Survey :confused: .some little dick who was born when you had the job done and is looking at a plan on paper :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back