Problems with System boiler and Megaflo - venting water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moved into a property 15 weeks ago. Initial problems found with the Alpha SY24 boiler (approx. 10 yrs old), in that the CH on causes the pressure to rise to 3 bar. Viewed as a problem with the expansion vessel, but for various reasons (i.e. constant rescheduling of service visit) have lived with it by nursing along CH and topping up when necessary.

Since weekend, the pressure gauge is playing up, and sticks. Moves sometimes, but generally not. Given up on the engineer I was attempting to use, and now hopefully getting the boiler issues fixed in the near future.

HW has seemed okay, with pressure gauge on boiler (when it worked ) only rising by a small amount, as expected.

Beginning of week I noticed that the Heatrae Sadia Megaflo (also approx. 10 yrs old) was venting water into the tundish when the HW system is operating. A squirt of water for 1-2 secs., followed by a pause of 1-2 secs.

Had the air gap recharged (I doubt the person before me ever did so in the 8+ yrs she owned the property), but it's started doing it again.

So ... I'm having an Heatrae Sadia approved engineer to come around and fault find. As the thermostat definitely switches the HW off, apparently could either be the T+P relief valve is faulty, or could be the internal baffle.

My question is this : within the airing cupboard, next to the cylinder, there are flow and return pipes leading up to the loft conversion, to (I assume) feed the radiators for the CH system. Both have valves on them, and then plastic pipes leading from the valves into the loft. When the HW is running, the join between the valve and the plastic pipe on the flow side weeps water. Not a lot (i.e. a few drops), but definitely some.
This doesn't seem to happen when the CH is on, but maybe I've just missed it.

This could have all been going on for days, weeks, or even years, as the previous owner seemed to know nothing about the central heating. Or maybe I'm being very naive, and it was one of the reasons she wanted to sell.

I would have thought that the HW would not effect the CH pipework, but it obviously does. I'm only leaving the HW on timed, for 30 minutes twice a day at the moment (previously it was set to come on as required by the cylinder thermostat), as I'm nervous that this could be a symptom of very high pressure in the CH pipes - either through the various boiler issues, or some inherent fault in the system.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back