Problems with TRV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed a TRV, to one radiator all others have standard valves. This radiatir is now cold the others are hot. Are TRV's direction dependant. Fitted it the only way I thought it could go, i.e. screwthread to radiator and compresion joint to pipe. No flow, therefore heat, on any setting between 5(hot) and *(frost)!

Any suggestoions?

Sponsored Links
There should be a small arrow on the trv somewhere for the flow rate so you know which side of radaitor to fit it to, normally on the return side.Also make sure you haven't forgotten to open up the other side valve and no air in the radiator.Check that first.

The radiator will still work regardless of the direction of flow. The arrow is only there to stop the valve hammering when water flows through, but this was really only a problem with older valves, most new valves have a double headed arrow.
If you have drops i.e. the pipes to the radiator drop down from the ceiling rather than rise up from the floor then you most likely have an air lock in the bend just above the ceiling (assuming you've checked everything in masona's post). Best way is to turn off all other rads, find the pump and turn it's speed up to max, usually 3, this should push the air through. If you have a timer that allows a choice of ch, ch/hw or hw on its own, then make sure only the heating is turned on to maximise the flow through this one rad. You may also notice a bypass pipe, it should be directly below the pump (the pump will have an arrow on its body). This small bypass may have an isolating valve on it, so make sure this is also turned off but remember how far open it is.
Many of these instructions may not apply to your system as you have not indicated what sort of boiler you have.

Regards, Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back