Problems with Vallaint 428 after CP12 check

so you let the property out, and presumably the tenants pay the energy bills, yet you monitor this remotely, do you not think this is weird , it is their usage and their bills, why are you so obsessed with this ? find something of your own to worry about

Sponsored Links
so you let the property out, and presumably the tenants pay the energy bills, yet you monitor this remotely, do you not think this is weird , it is their usage and their bills, why are you so obsessed with this ? find something of your own to worry about

Post 9 I say I pay the bills. It is a HMO. I run a few high quality HMO's and I am aware of faults before the tenants report out :) So no I am not weird :) or at least I dont think I am, just a very good part time Landlord with an understanding of heating systems amongst other things.

So clearly it was the guy that did the cp12 waving his magic spanner that caused the motorised valve to seize up and become old overnight

Same guy using SFH to check for gas rating :(. Maybe a bit of cheese jumped out his crack whilst he bent over and jammed the actuator :) Got some spare drayton heads here so lets see how it goes. Will update

Sponsored Links
Sorry, not an answer to your question, but could you tell me how you are logging that data? Is it using vrdialog? And does the charting come as standard?

Data is logged via my smart meter

Could you elaborate? Or a link to what you use? I'm particular interested in the boiler's power output and tracking how it modulates in relation to flow and return temperatures.

Ovo energy used to supply a smart meter that logs both gas and electricity in real time. Had it years before everyone agreed on a standard for the meters. It comes with a gateway that you plug into the broadband.

Here is yesterdays electrical plotted against todays so far

electrical useage.JPG

What's the interface to the Vaillant though? I'm assuming it must be using ebus to gather the various diagnostic information.

No nothing required there at all. Only one NG appliance in the house so any gas use is only down to the boiler. Cannot tell if it is HW generation or CH without logging into the smart stat to see if that has either come on via programming or via a timed boost that I "allow" the tenants. Is this for your domestic install or for a HMO?

Ah, I understand now. Thanks.

I have a Vaillant 838 and was interested in logging how it behaves at 5am in the morning when HW followed by multiple heating zones call for heat. I have a feeling it still cycles and then eventually settles down. It was more intrigue than necessity.

Are you using the 838 as a combi or do you also have a cylinder as well? You could train a camera on the gas meter I suppose or even use some maths with flow and return temp logging. Not sure of the logic on the 838 series. 838 goes down quite low just below 7kw depending on how it is zoned then dont see why it should cycle. Assume you have range rated the boiler?

I have temporarily remotely disabled the heating (so we know it was only HW generation) and someone must have just drawn off some water and the boiler fired for 14mins and satisified the cylinder in 1 single burn.

For those still interested notice how it is not ramping up as much on the first fire up previously was firing and sticking/overshooting @17.86kw it now peaked at 13.25 and quickly settled down to 5kw as it was only a partial draw off.

14min burn on HW only.JPG

Ok so thanks to my weirdness I have found a fault that potentially could have cost me a fortune in wasted gas. Even if I didnt pay the bill how many tenants would have realised there was an issue or just lived with the issue and wasted their own money? Not to mention the enviromental saving.

looking much more like it now. So there was a call for heat this morning @ 5am this raised the temp to 19.5 by 5:51, the other fires are hot water generation.

What I find interesting is that d.0 was not changed when I went round there, just changed the flow temp down, this is had a postive effect in the initial ramp up for the first 50 seconds. Note I am running the modified PCB that stops the microfiring so not sure if that is part of the behaviour change of the logic with the modified PCB.

much better.JPG

monday morning.JPG

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back