probllem ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right , the ceiling i mentioned in a thread or two back is proving to be more of problem than i first thought. Initially i thought it was artex with linng paper on top of that, but further examination shows that the layer under the coating ( not convinced its lining paper now) whilst textured is soft and powdery. It scrapes off easily to reveal the plasterboard. Now the ivory side of the plasterboard is showing not the grey side. So it looks like ill have to scrape off the coating and powdery material, then paint the board. Its in an upstairs bedroom. At least 2 other rooms are in a similar state. Any other solutions come to mind?

Sponsored Links
Any other solutions come to mind?

Sell the house!...

Seriously, sounds like you have distemper on the ceiling under all the other stuff.

Two options really re-board the ceiling over it or scrape it all off.

If you scrape and wash it off then youl need to give the ceiling a coat of alkali resisting primer before you attempt to do anything to it.

Be prepared to line/paper it too...all the washing and scraping may wreck the surface of the plasterboard.

thanks zampa - i suspected it was distemper - damn stuff. Decided to reboard, scraping is going to take too long and the board itself is not in good shape - scratched and gouged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back