Problomatic Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 pipe central heating system and piping which is 8mm microbore piping, the radiator in my living room which is the last on the system only gets luke warm and sometimes no warmth at all, the thermostate valve is on the left and is fully open and pin is not stuck and the flow valve the other, the pipe to the flow valve and the flow valve itself is red hot, the termostate and the pipe out of the thermostate is stone cold, any help would be appreciated.

Furthermore we have had a new boiler fitted and when the central heating starts up there is a sporadic vibrating news from the boiler, I was advised to make sure the radiator closest to the boiler is fully on and this would stop, but unfortunately it has not, again any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Furthermore we have had a new boiler fitted and when the central heating starts up there is a sporadic vibrating news from the boiler, I was advised to make sure the radiator closest to the boiler is fully on and this would stop, but unfortunately it has not, again any help would be appreciated.

The above highlighted comment is probably causing a lot of your problems with this radiator. By having this fully open, it is causing your system to be totally unbalanced :eek:

This radiator should in fact have its locksheild valve the most shut compared to the others further away. (See FAQ's on balancing a system)

Secondly I feel your installer has suggested this because basically he doesn't know what it is causing your vibration as well as most probably not having a clue how to fix it :rolleyes:

Get him back and ask him to correct everything. Anyone fitting a new boiler should automatically check and balance the system on completion for you. This is part of the commissioning process.

Very true, my installer turned the lock shield valve on the towel rail all the way down and we have no problem with radiators not heating, I think the radiators all over the house have been balanced because all of them are at a very even temperature.

Thanks for the replies. I did the get the installer back more than once but cannot resolve the issue :(

I will try turning the rad closest to the boiler down (by this do you mean the thermostat end or the other end or both)? sorry, novice here :(

However this said I have noticed tonight the rad that is normaly cold is now starting to warm up at the top, I have bled it again to make sure there is no air in it but the thermostat and the pipe coming into the thermostat end is still cold?

Sponsored Links
The lockshield valve, not the thermostatic valve.

If the top of the rad is warm/hot then there will be no/very little air in it.

Could be sludge/muck at bottom, but until you have balanced the system correctly you cannot begin to tell properly.

OK will try, thaks for reply and will keep you posted.

If its all balanced ok then
Microbore very likely the manifold has a slight blockage in it even if it has been powerflushed.
Common misconception is it is the return that is blocked because heat is getting to the rad valve ,this is because it is barely a trickle is getting to it on the flow and not enough to heat it.

Turn both valves off and disconnect at rad then open them up one at a time into a basin or bucket and check they both have a strong flow

Yes system was power flushed at the time of installation of the new boiler.

The cold radiator is new and when fitted the flow of both valves has a very strong and clean flow of water.

It really is a mystery, I am going to try and turn the lockshield valve down on the rad closest to the boiler to see if this helps as suggest earlier, my other main concern is the vibrating of the boiler when the CH is switched on and is labouring to heatthe syatem up, it then dies of and then comes back then.

Thanks again for your replies.

Could always call the manufacturers out under warranty. I never understand why a lot of installers don't do this when a new boiler gives 'faults' that they haven't a clue how to fix :confused:

Could be the pump or fan vibrating maybe.

What boiler is it?

Boiler is a Halstead Eden X Type VBX 30.

Have turned lockshield down on rad nearest to boiler and furthest rad still not getting warm and boiler still making intermitent vibrating when labouring.

You may have to go round all the rads and balance them down to get the problem one hot.

From what your installer sounds like, I would also want to double check that he hasn't set the pump speed lower to try to cure the vibration :rolleyes:

Should be on full.

Pump is on 130 full I think.

Is balancing easy? any suggestions on how I do this?

Thanks for your help, I am insistant to cure this myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back