Product to bond timber batons to my concrete walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I have a prefab garage. The panels it's built from are 600mm wide with two vertical hollows, such that it has a thick vertical rib up the centre of each.

My plan is to fill the hollows with insulation, and attach a timber baton to each of the centre ribs. I'll then insulate the gap between the batons and panel over wit ply or OSB.

So, how to attach the batons? I suppose I could drill, plug and screw them, but I'm wary of damaging the concrete. There is steel reinforcement in the panels too and the garage is 19 panels long and 7 panels wide, so a lot to do!

Ideally I'd like to bond them in place, but of course I don't want my panelling to fall off in a few years. I plan to attach things to the panels too, so they'll need to bear some weight.

Sponsored Links
i would in that case still drill/plug and screw,but use gripfil as well.

Hi:
I had a concrete garage in my last house and i used timbers plugged and screwed inside and out.The inside was then covered with stirling board and the outside with shiplap.Here is a pic of the outside and you would not know the concrete garage was sandwiched in the middle.
GALLERY]

Thanks for the replies. I certainly don't need to panel the outside. The garage is brand new and looks nice already - just want it to be warmer in the winter and to have a better surface for mounting things on as well as something to sit sockets etc in and to run cabling behind.

Sponsored Links
Don`t screw + plug a new panel - warranty :idea: - just de grease mould oil residue and dust off then gripfill or similar will hold just about anything to the concrete ;)

Don`t screw + plug a new panel - warranty :idea: - just de grease mould oil residue and dust off then gripfill or similar will hold just about anything to the concrete ;)

Cheers, Nige. I was hoping that would be the answer. So Gripfil is the product to use? Good thought about degreasing. :)

There is no issue with drilling into the ribs internally from a warranty perspective, but I suspect that drilling right through might cause more problems than it solves with water ingress. The outside is pebble-dashed, so difficult to seal anything on the outer face.

Indeed - right through would blow off the face like a Sky box fitter had been @ it ;) But , you could show your friends the holes and say " now do you believe " like the other Jesus did :mrgreen:

Personally I'd have to have a few screws and plugs in if your hanging stuff from the batts. I love a bit or gripfill but can't bring myself to trust it to that extent.

The pillars normally have a bolt through to hold the panels, can you not remove the nut and fix brackets to hold the battens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back