Program requesting server access

S

Shutpa

Got this pop-up window " The program Printer Communication System requests server access to the Internet. You can grant or block his program".
McAfee does not recognise this program.

Does anyone know what this is all about?

Sponsored Links
Interesting - lxbXcoms.exe is linked to Lexmark printers and might well be genuine. What you might have is a dodgy bit of spyware or malware which is trying to appear to be this genuine programme.

I'd personally block it and forget about it - if you don't have any more problems and your printer works properly then it'll be ok.

Make sure your virus software and spyware programmes are all up to date and keep doing regular scans.

Cheers Ossy, we have been on to Lexmark trying to download a driver for my printer for our new computer. Still, I'll do as you suggest and give it a miss on this occassion.

I very much doubt that it's rogue - more likely to be the Lexmark software checking for updates.

There should be no harm in denying access for this program.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
I very much doubt that it's rogue - more likely to be the Lexmark software checking for updates.

think you meant allowing?

oh and if you google it, it would seem there is a trojan of that name

breezer said:
Softus said:

think you meant allowing?
In that case you think wrongly.

oh and if you google it, it would seem there is a trojan of that name
Even if you don't Google it, the trojan still exists.

However...

bolo said:
we have been on to Lexmark trying to download a driver for my printer for our new computer.

Ossy said:
I'd personally block it and forget about it - if you don't have any more problems and your printer works properly then it'll be ok.

Another reason why not to use a software firewall. The problem exists and you are simply masking it. It's much better to know what the applcation is and remove it if bad or allow it if good.

Igorian said:
A router with a decent firewall or something else like an X10e

Assuming the OP is a standard user an X10e is a bit overkill :)

I would always recommend a hardware firewall too, but I generally use both. While my hardware firewall is good at stopped things getting in, it has no ability to filter what gets out. If some printer software tried to make a connection to the internet it would be allowed, no questions asked. The software firewall is connected to the OS so it can warn you what application is trying to make a connection, but that's not always so great. In this case, as for so many other users, the question is confusing and whether allow or block is clicked is more pot luck than anything else.

In this case googling for lxbXcoms.exe shows it is linked to lexmark. As the OP was trying to download a lexmark driver at the time I'd be inclined to say it's genuine and you should allow it.

diy_darren said:
While my hardware firewall is good at stopped things getting in, it has no ability to filter what gets out.
Really? Mine does. Perhaps you should get one that does.

If some printer software tried to make a connection to the internet it would be allowed, no questions asked.
If it was printer software doing it, then why would you want a question to be asked? :confused:

The software firewall is connected to the OS so it can warn you what application is trying to make a connection, but that's not always so great.
It's particularly not great when that firewall is prone to being overcome and/or disabled by a virus.

Too late DIY darren, I took the earlier advice not to accept it and it hasn't appeared again.

bolo said:
Too late DIY darren, I took the earlier advice not to accept it and it hasn't appeared again.
Not to worry, the software was probably doing something pointless anyhow. It won't appear again though as you told it to block the firewall doesn't inform you about attempts from that software anymore.

Softus said:
Really? Mine does. Perhaps you should get one that does.
I have some feeble web filtering controls, but that's not the same application level of filtering a software firewall can provide. I don't see how a hardware firewall can provide outgoing application level filtering.

Softus said:
If it was printer software doing it, then why would you want a question to be asked? :confused:
Well you wouldn't, but the firewall just sees it as something trying to access the internet you've not given permission too. So it asks. I'm not talking about the printer driver here, more like the utility software that comes with it that may do automatic update checks and so forth.

diy_darren said:
I have some feeble web filtering controls, but that's not the same application level of filtering a software firewall can provide. I don't see how a hardware firewall can provide outgoing application level filtering.
I didn't say that it can provide application level filtering, nor that mine does.

Softus said:
Well you wouldn't...
So why use something that you wouldn't want a hardware firewall to do as an example of something that it can't do?

I'm not talking about the printer driver here, more like the utility software that comes with it that may do automatic update checks and so forth.
I thought that issue had already been covered at least once. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back