Programmable Room thermostats - how well do they control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Amongst other things, I am looking to replace the room thermostats in my flat with 5+2 programmable ones. These need to be capable of switching 3kW loads (i.e rated 16 Amp) as they are installed inline to my (electrical) heating.

Having done some research, I have found the following that don't look like white bricks glued ont a wall:

1) Drayton Digistat +2 or +3
2) Hetamiser PRT

both of which appear to be rated 16 A (though you have to dig deep into the instruction manuals for the heatmiser to see this - rated 3A on the brochure, and 16A on the wiring diagram at the back of the instructions. Clear as mud !)

Does anyone know of any others?

Aesthetically I prefer (2) as it is a slimline model , and thus less obtrusive. But, how well do these thermostats actually control? My dad was always impressed with how well the previous drayton digistats controlled room temperature with little or no overshoot / oscillation (until it died). I am wondering what the consensus of opinion is (if there is one) on the current batch before I order some - at £50 a pop and 5 to replace it's a significant investment that I only want to do the once.

Matt

Sponsored Links
A Digisat certainly won't switch 16A many times, it's rated 2A resistive load, 1A inductive !

The other one I don't know.

I would suggest that you could use any stat, but let this operate the storage heaters via a 'contactor' (similar to a relay).

Its a bit more up to date to use a solid state relay!

Comes with a built in snubber!

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back