Programmable thermostat advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a new Worcester 30si fitted and had my old back boiler and immersion tank removed. Plus I've had a polypipe underfloor heating set up added to the new kitchen as a zone on the heating.

The plumber initially advised that I could choose any of the worcester controllers so I chose the FW100 weather compensated controller and this has been fitted in the hall to control the radiators in the house. The underfloor heating has it's own programmer.

The problem is that Worcester tell me the FW100 should not be set up in this way (something to do with the underfloor heating zone) and it needs to be fascia mounted, set to always on and if I want to control the rads I need a separate 3rd party programmable thermostat (or controller and thermostat) to control the radiator zone. (as per their technical bulletin TB 0014 http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/mobile/literature/technical-bulletins)

I asked my plumber for more advice and he told me I could use the worcester FR110 but worcester advised against it. I've therefore lost a bit of faith in the plumber so have been researching it myself. I am looking for one which can be set to different temps so a set back temp, comfort temp and frost protection plus different times each day or at least Mon-Fri and weekends. I'm not looking for RF as the current FW100 is wired in to the hall so I'm expecting to reuse the wiring when it's moved to the boiler fascia.

So my question (finally!) is what would be a suitable 3rd party programmable stat?
I'm considering the honeywell CM907 http://www.honeywelluk.com/products...tats/TPI/CM907-7-Day-Programmable-Thermostat/

Does anyone have any other proposals?

Would it work if I took out the FW100, sold it on ebay and put in a FR110 instead? I'm not sure the weather compensation is worth all this hassle!
Many thanks in advance.
Mike.

Sponsored Links
I found your post when I was googling what the FW100 was selling for on ebay.

I had to laugh because I think I may have exactly the same issue as you.

I have been trying to connect in an additional ‘240v supply’ argument pump for the UFH to the low voltage FW100 but this can’t be done unless I buy another timer? I can’t see why I would pay so much money for this programmable timer and then buy another one?

I am in the process of returning my FW100 to Worcester after three months arguing with them that they had miss sold this product. They don’t admit that there is a problem but have accepted to take it back if I am prepared to wait 4-6 weeks to be reimbursed.

I would never buy from them again.

I assume you are aware of page 10 of the 'Tech and Spec for Heating Controls' it states:

The FW100 combines the functions of room thermostat and
programmer and incorporates factory-set heat curves for
use with radiators, underfloor heating and fan convectors,
making commissioning very straightforward.

Also there is a You tube video which shows how to connect up UFH heating which is endorsed by Worcester called Greenfloor. They had no excuse in the way I set up my UFH as I got my ideas from them.

Why can't you get the UFH pump powered by the UFH controls? Why does the boiler have to do it?

No system I have installed would work like that?

Why can't you get the UFH pump powered by the UFH controls? Why does the boiler have to do it?

Why can't I connect into the timer I have, why do I need to buy another timer?

If you know something I don't I would love to hear from you as I can't see any way around this.

My system is: one large zone of UFH, no rads.

Sponsored Links

Why can't I connect into the timer I have, why do I need to buy another timer?

If you know something I don't I would love to hear from you as I can't see any way around this.

My system is: one large zone of UFH, no rads.

Sorry a bit confused by the post and what is what.
But if I had plumbered it. One timer can be set to switch on heating.
Either a thermostat for the radiators or a thermostat for the underfloor will switch boiler on and supply heat. This isn't rocket science.
The only other way that might be required is if for some reason
you wanted the underfloor on a different timer to the rest of the house.

With the info provided we have no chance of giving any help.

But if the system is one big UFH whny the need for an argumentative :eek: pump?

You have manifolds?... you have zoned stats? So either you have a pump on each manifold (fed by the boilers internal pump) or you have a pump and temperature module that distributes to the zone manifolds and that first module is fed by the boiler pump.

Either way I can't see why you would need to have another pump arguing with the boiler's pump.

What does the installer have to say about this?

What UFH system have you used?

Just read the manual on this timer/thermostat WF100.
90 pages. All singing all dancing. Quite liked the DHW circulation program.

Any manual for a timer that is 90 pages long goes straight into
the bin in my book. Typical Worcester bosch. I hate it.
Golden rule. Keep it simple.

Thanks for the replies but I think there are may be some cross wires here so i’ll try and keep it simple:

I have a combination boiler supplying one 8 port manifold UFH with augmenting pump. (no rads, one central room stat.)

Bought FW100 as this was also a programmable timer and room stat, but since this is low voltage I can’t plug into the timer function to run the aug. pump.

Worcester Tech Supp. has agreed that a feed can’t be picked up so I would require another timer?

The FW100 isn’t worth buying if half its features can’t be used with UFH

Thanks for the replies but I think there are may be some cross wires here so i’ll try and keep it simple:

I have a combination boiler supplying one 8 port manifold UFH with augmenting pump. (no rads, one central room stat.)

Bought FW100 as this was also a programmable timer and room stat, but since this is low voltage I can’t plug into the timer function to run the aug. pump.

Worcester Tech Supp. has agreed that a feed can’t be picked up so I would require another timer?

The FW100 isn’t worth buying if half its features can’t be used with UFH

Agreed. If have more than one zone this timer/thermostat looks useless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back