Programmable thermostat installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently just have a (wired) programmable timeswitch on my central heating (Combi). Can I replace this with a programmable (wireless) thermostat, and how should I do this?

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly you can, but we will need.

1. Details of existing timeswitch (make & model)
2. Details of wiring at existing timeswitch (a photo of wires maybe)
3. Boiler make & model
4. Details of the programmable thermostat you intend to replace timeswitch with (make & model)

Why would you want to go wireless if you already have the wires in place? Wireless controllers tend to use batteries (as they aren't wired up to an electrical supply) and these batteries must be frequently replaced. You don't have to worry about this with a wired controller.

Also, to install a wireless controller you will need to identify the wires at the boiler end to connect up the receiver i.e. the part that communicates with the wireless controller.

Presumably the timeswitch is not located where you would want a thermostat to be, so a wireless unit would solve this. The receiver of the programmable thermostat should fit (electrically) to the connections that are provided to your timeswitch, assuming it is external to the boiler. If internal, then the thermostat receiver will connect to the external controls terminals of your boiler.

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you want to re-locate the thermostat then going wireless will make it easier if re-routing the wires is too difficult, however, your existing thermostat is likely to have been sited by the person who installed the boiler and therefore (I would like to think) it is in the best place, usually a hallway.

If you move it to, for example, your lounge, this is likely to be a warmer room and the result may be that the rest of the house is maintained at a lower temperature as the required temperature will be reached earlier.

The OP asks if he can replace a time-switch with a programmable thermostat. I thus assume he doesn’t currently have a thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back