programmer help?

Sponsored Links
If by 'will it fit' you mean in the front panel of the ecotec then NO. It can be wired in ok though. The switched live to the boiler needs to be connected to terminal 4 on the right hand side pcb mains block (after removing the red link wire between terminals 3 + 4 if still fitted ;)

Yes, you can connect it.

However, the Vaillant VRT360 is inexpensive, has a bidirectional data link to the boiler and does the same thing and more besides. Or use the identical looking VRC400 and it will do weather compensation too.

The Siemens has a unidirectional link and has no idea what the boiler is doing. Lots of buttons, flash as a rat with a gold tooth.

oh good! im going to need to first fix and run the wires first as i'm re-doing the whole of my house, what wires will i need to run?

Sponsored Links
Go for the VRC 400. No wires to run. Just plugs in front of boiler. Its all I fit on Ecotec Plus Combis now ;)

If you do connect it, it's internal switch must be wired between terminals 3 and 4.

If you just put a switched live into pin 4 as suggested in an earlier post from gas4you you will bypass the boiler OH stat and you will also be unable to turn the boiler off from it's own on/off switch.

In addition, just for the record, on any Vaillant boilers the power for a non Vaillant timer (if the clock circuitry is mains powered) must always be derived from pin 3, for the same reason.

How often has it flashed up -40C for the outside temp?

The PCB uses it as a generic error code while it is thinking.......

VRC 400, that sounds like a better option for me! will i have to have a room stat wired in seperate?

simond said:
If you do connect it, it's internal switch must be wired between terminals 3 and 4.

If you just put a switched live into pin 4 as suggested in an earlier post from gas4you you will bypass the boiler OH stat and you will also be unable to turn the boiler off from it's own on/off switch.

In addition, just for the record, on any Vaillant boilers the power for a non Vaillant timer (if the clock circuitry is mains powered) must always be derived from pin 3, for the same reason.

Boiler will not work unless permanent live is powered. On/off will cut permanent live

easydes said:
VRC 400, that sounds like a better option for me! will i have to have a room stat wired in seperate?

VRC 400 is a room stat as well, but you set room temp at boiler. No need for another room stat.

simond said:
How often has it flashed up -40C for the outside temp?

The PCB uses it as a generic error code while it is thinking.......

Never seen this one?

It modulates the boiler flow temp according to outside weather temp. ie on a freezing cold day it will let boiler flow heat to maximum temp set whilst on a mild day it will reduce boiler flow temp as you will not need rads so hot to heat rooms ;) Be careful to fit outside sensor to M I's though in terms of position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back