Programming advice for Texecom Premier elite 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all. I’ve just purchased an Elite 24 control panel and the DBD 0168 LCDLP keypad to upgrade my home alarm system. I currently have a Veritas R8 alarm system with 4 PRI’s (hallway which is entry/exit point, kitchen, living room & integral garage) and one external bell. On looking at my existing panel it looks fairly straight forward to swap over the panel (famous last words) but can I just ask, how difficult is it to program the keypad and the 4 zones because if I’m honest I’m not looking forward to that part one bit?

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Best of luck ....unfortunately there is going to be a load of things that need turning off in the programming for a diy job ...

Sponsored Links
Keypad for what ?
For ease to program the system. So instead of the Premier Elite DBD-0168 keypad, would a more basic lcd keypad like the Premier DBA-0001 be a better option for a diy or am I still going to need to turn a load of things off in the programming?

Same thing ...easier to program via wintex with a laptop ( plus programming lead )

What are you hoping to achieve by upgrading to the Premier Elite? What does it give you that your current alarm doesn't?

Programming is doable if you read the Texecom installation manual carefully, you don't need Wintex for that (it does make it easier though, but not if you don't know what you're doing!)

If I were you I would have got the Premier Elite 64-W, and probably KIT-0086 while I was at it, as you don't have many existing zones, you'd be able to add them to the panel without needing an expander, should you need to add additional sensors, the kit comes with a few wireless ones you could add. (But i'm not you and know nothing about your property so have no idea whether any of this is suitable for your needs).

Something to watch out for is what happens when you disconnect your existing alarm. If it's wired and configured properly then your sounder is going to go off!

I'm about to replace my existing panel with a Premier Elite 64-W, but won't start it until i'm comfortable with what will happen when I decommission my existing alarm.

I’m wanting to add the smart com to it but I can’t on the current panel that I have so need to upgrade it so thought I’d just go with the 24 as I don’t need to expand etc as the amount of PRI’s I currently have is ok for my property. I don’t really want a wireless system as I prefer the hardwired setup and seen as I have the PIR’s etc already installed I thought it would just be a matter of swapping the panel over and keypad but maybe I’m totally wrong. I’d like to have a go at it but I might just send the kit back.

Ahh ok, then Premier Elite makes sense for that.
The kit you have seems fine for what you've described.

It's doable, i've done it before, although i've done it from scratch and not replaced an existing system. This time my scenario is similar to yours in that i'm replacing something.

Read the manual carefully and also just think about what you're going to do if the external sounder goes off!

Edit: also read your existing alarm manual too!

Ahh ok, then Premier Elite makes sense for that.
The kit you have seems fine for what you've described.

It's doable, i've done it before, although i've done it from scratch and not replaced an existing system. This time my scenario is similar to yours in that i'm replacing something.

Read the manual carefully and also just think about what you're going to do if the external sounder goes off!

Edit: also read your existing alarm manual too!

cheers for that, I’ve no manual for my current one as it was never left after it got installed. When you say the external sounder will go off, is that because it may have a back up battery in the bell box even tho the power and battery in the panel has been disconnected?

You can get the Veritas manual directly from Texecom.
Yes it's because of that, from what i've been reading you need to keep power to it to prevent from going off, unless it has a hold off mode.

You can get the Veritas manual directly from Texecom.
Yes it's because of that, from what i've been reading you need to keep power to it to prevent from going off, unless it has a hold off mode.
Nice one. I can’t get to the bell box so think I’ll just send the gear back. It’s not as straight forward as first thought.

Up to you, like I said it is doable, you just need to read up on it and think it through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back