Project Attic conversion

Hi ToTC

Great guidance - well spotted - I am hoping that as the builder is aware that there are spots going to go in, he will allow for this.
Something for me to keep an eye on though.
Brgds
S

Sponsored Links
In my experience, many builders have no idea about these sort of issues. They carry out their work given the instructions that they are provided with.

If you, the electrician, or the architect get it wrong then it will not be their fault!

As a veteran of several loft conversion projects, there is no possibility of installing downlights in the sloping ceiling. Often, for a standard roof, the only possible void for downlights is to construct a false ceiling at the ridge.

LABC are very hot on compliance with thermal requirements (pun intended).
I urge you to get your proposal agreed in detail with the Building Inspector early.

Hi TTC
Ah - the attic conversion will be a dorma - i.e. flat roof over the habitable space. The downlights will be installed on the flat roof and not the (existing) sloped roof)
Presumably this will make a difference?
Brgds
S

..oh...and yep - buildings control will be approached with constructional drawings etc before hammer hits nail....

Brgds
S

Sponsored Links
Whatever the roof construction, there will be a thermal insulation requirement. A normal cold roof construction with downlights is not normally permitted. You may need to go for a WARM ROOF construction.

It will depend on your ceiling height.

Here's the difference

Ok - warm roof it will have to be....plenty of clearance between rafters and roof ridgeline....
Thank you!
S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back