Electric Towel Rail wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, trying find out if I can run the flex wire from electric towel rail all the into the attic where I would like to put the fused switch spur. (the attic is easily accessible via a door in upstairs bedroom. I would put the switch next to the attic door for easy access). Please see diagram. I'm trying to avoid having to put a connection box in the bathroom under the rail and not having to channel out the plaster etc.

Thanks in advance! Dom

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200208-154115.png
    Screenshot_20200208-154115.png
    406 KB · Views: 1,278
Sponsored Links
Yes, you can do that, but it might be inconvenient.

Connecting to the lighting circuit might avoid the need for the junction box.

I don't really understand, with the cable as you have drawn it, why having the Fused Connection Unit (the cable is the spur) at a more convenient position would involve any more channelling.

Ah, sorry, I wasn't clear on that front. So, where the cable comes down from the rail, it will run into boxing beneath it. That boxing runs all the way along the skirting and then up the corner of the wall. So, if the cable goes directly into boxing and not into a connection box, then I avoid any channeling or cutting into the plaster. Make sense? Also, it's going into rcd protected mains in the attic, not lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
So do you think that's ok? Also, do you mind me asking, are you an electrician? Thanks for your responses by the way. Much appreciated.

Ah, well that's kind of the question... Can I just run a long length of white round flex all the from the rail to the fused switch in the attic? Wasn't sure if there was any regs about how long a round flex can be or whether I can use that in the attic space. Does that make sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back