Propane Gas Fire Copper Pipe Damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a propane gas fire which is fed by 15mm copper pipe from an outside cylinder.

During some recent DIY work I have unfortuantely punctured the pipe with a small hole.

The pipe runs just above the skirting board and is held place with 2 clips so it is also tight against the wall. I haven't looked too closely but I am assuming (hoping) that it would be possible to remove the clips so that the pipe can moved away slightly from the wall. It is also in a small area which is hard to work in, especially as I am over 70.

I had hoped to be able to use LLFA tape to make a repair but have been told this is not advisable as it is only designed for water/electrical repair.

The normal way would be to use a pipe cutter, remove the damaged section and then fit a connector but I'm wondering if I would be able to use a pipe cutter given the restricted space. I have seen a Monument automatic pipe cutter which says "it cuts once the gate of the tool is closed over the pipe" and is ideal for confined areas but not sure exactly what automatic means in this context.

The alternative is to use a hack saw but not sure if I will be able to cut completely through given how close it is to the wall.

Is the any alternative to either a pipe cutter or hack saw that I can use to make a permanent and safe repair.

Many thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

If your opening comment was directed with my posting then no it's not a wind up.

The link you gave has shown an RGI in my area, so no problem on that score.

However, just for my own understanding can you explain why if the LPG is turned off at the cylinder and the pipe is cut and a proper compression connector fitted, as one would with either water of kerosene, this should be any more dangerous.

I accept that being a gas the repair would have to be done properly or is it a case that compression joints should not be used on LPG piping, especially inside.

Thanks

You dont just need ANY old RGI but you must have one whose work categories include LPG.

Ideally, but not strictly, one who has LPG fires as well.

Tony

Sponsored Links
As an example, you cannot use brass olives (which a lot of compression fittings come with) on LPG... This is just one of many reasons you should get a professional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back