Cutting pipe close to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to cut a 22mm pipe that is about 1cm from the wall. I was going to buy a Monument automatic pipe cutter (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12380/Kitchens/Kitchen-Tools/Kitchen-Fitter-s-Tools/Monument-Tools-Automatic-Pipe-Cutter-22mm#)to do this but looking at it now it'll probably be too big to rotate without hitting the wall.

Can anyone let me know if there is a tool small enough to cut around this or if it'll mean using a hack saw? Any tips would be appreciated too.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Why is it only 1 cm from the wall :?:

Only a hacksaw will do this for you I'm afraid. Take your time and cut it squarely as you can and deburr with a file. :D

Why is it only 1 cm from the wall :?:

Only a hacksaw will do this for you I'm afraid. Take your time and cut it squarely as you can and deburr with a file. :D

It's the return pipe from the CH just before it goes into the boiler. The reason for having to cut it is I'm planning to fit a Magnaclean.

As there are some pipes either side of this one would you recommend a specific type of hacksaw?

Sponsored Links
A small angle grinder or Dremal would cut it. The cut may not need to be that great, as you could always have a second cut with cutters(pipe slice) if there's enough play?

Would it not be easier to undo the pipe from the boiler and see if there's room for it to be dropped and/or pulled away from the wall?

Asked the same question myself here the other day. If no play when disconected then hacksaw whilst keeping the pipe tight from moving and spend a some time filing it.

Oh, and wear gloves :cool:

I would be anxious about copper swarf falling down the pipe. It is said to cause local corrosion and pinholing if it gets into a steel radiator.

I would be anxious about copper swarf falling down the pipe. It is said to cause local corrosion and pinholing if it gets into a steel radiator.
Luckily, once it gets coated with "sludge", the magnaclean will pick it up.

Thanks for all your posts - it sounds like i have quite a few options available to myself.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As with most tools, the quality varies between manufacturers. It's never going to be the preferred method of cutting a pipe, but it can be handy to get out of (or into, depending on your perspective) a tight corner.

Assuming the pipe is in a cupboard, is it not possible to chip out some of the plaster behind the pipe so that you can get a pipeslice around it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back