Proposed c/h repair - thoughts please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a leak in the somewhere in the c/h pipes (pressurised system) in the concrete sub floor. I'm proposing to disconnect this pipework from the boiler and tee off the upstairs feed and return pipes coming down the walls to the existing downstairs rads. I'll also have to run a new feed to the hwc as the feed for this is in the floor as well. I have a few questions:-

1. Is there any fundamental reason why I shouldn't do this?

2. Should I use copper or plastic barrier pipe for the new pipework?

3. For the pipes in the wall how deep should I channel them, are there any regs relating to this? Would they need lagging?

4. I'd like to run the pipes behind the skirting once I've come down the wall, any reason not to do this?

5. Finally I'd like to do it in stages, picking up as many rads as I can off each tee from upstairs. Apart from having to drain and refill the system each time is there any good reason not to do this?

All repsonses gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
paulski said:
I've got a leak in the somewhere in the c/h pipes (pressurised system) in the concrete sub floor. I'm proposing to disconnect this pipework from the boiler and tee off the upstairs feed and return pipes coming down the walls to the existing downstairs rads. I'll also have to run a new feed to the hwc as the feed for this is in the floor as well. I have a few questions:-

1. Is there any fundamental reason why I shouldn't do this?
No. Although I wonder if it's possible to identify where the leak is and mend it?

paulski said:
2. Should I use copper or plastic barrier pipe for the new pipework?
A bit difficult to answer to that without more info, but I would choose according to aesthetic requirements (if any), and whether or not using a long length of plastic pipe off a coil will obviate the use of couplings that could leak and that you might want to bury.

paulski said:
3. For the pipes in the wall how deep should I channel them, are there any regs relating to this? Would they need lagging?
AFAIR the Water Regs stipulate that conduit would be needed.

For one thing, if you were to use cement-based 'plaster' then it would corrode copper tubing - you can counteract this with Denzo tape.

paulski said:
4. I'd like to run the pipes behind the skirting once I've come down the wall, any reason not to do this?
No, but clearly care is needed when remounting the skirting board.

paulski said:
5. Finally I'd like to do it in stages, picking up as many rads as I can off each tee from upstairs. Apart from having to drain and refill the system each time is there any good reason not to do this?
Hm. This depends a lot on the pipework that you're teeing off from. You need to consider how many rads you're supplying and gauge the pipework accordingly, because it will limit the rate of heat output that can be delivered to the rads.

paulski said:
All repsonses gratefully received.
Nice clear questions paulski :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back