Protect a table top with glass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, not sure if I've posted this in the right section, it is wood related so I hope so.

I'm going to buy a new table soon hopefully. The previous one we had is covered in fork tracks and dents left lovingly by kids, so I want to get the new table top protected. I've seen people use toughened glass for this purpose but don't know how it's secured. Is it just plonked on the top? The size of the table will be 2.7m x 1m.

Thank you for any advice on this.

Sponsored Links
I've made tables in the past with glass tops, although they are generally held in rebates - not an option if you are buying in. I suppose you might consider mirror clips or dots of clear silicone in the corners, although I don't regard either of them as an attractive solution

I have also bought a new table 4 years ago and covered it with a sheet of 6mm glass, with clear rubber pads underneath.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Small rubber or foam pads are all thats required, it's weight and friction with pads prevents movement, wil need polished edges.

Ah thanks guys! That's a pretty elegant solution as I wasn't fond of doing anything permanent to the table. Thanks for the polished edge tip too :)[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back