1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Protecting our stuff during a building project

Discussion in 'Building' started by thomaspassmore, 27 May 2014.

1. thomaspassmore

thomaspassmore

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We're having a loft conversion and the ceilings are being lowered. We have been told this will be extremely messy so we're going to try to move as much of our stuff elsewhere.

Inevitably we'll have to keep some of it in the flat (currently a 1 bed so small) so is there a way to protect our stuff from the dust. Whats the best way?

Should we just clingfilm the whole lot?

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Clingfilm? No chance.

Some good polythene sheeting and rolls of gaffer tape are what you need.

And old blankets if you have/can get some, to protect things from impact damage.

3. thomaspassmore

thomaspassmore

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply. I guess when i said clingfilm I meant more industrial type shrink wrap. Still a no no?

What worried me about gaffer tape is won't it leave a sticky residue on the paint (eg if sealing up a chest of drawers...)

Thanks

4. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This is the understatement of the century!

I reckon the cling film route could be pretty effective, if you use enough. Even if you go for a more conventional wrapping approach there is no need to get gaffer tape stuck to the items, though no doubt two pairs of hands working in harmony would be a benefit for such a task.

You would not be the first top move all of their belongings into storage whilst the job takes place though obviously that is an expense.
    Certainly anything valuable/electrical I would be looking to store off site.