Protecting outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tap is on the wall just below the kitchen window. I had a new isolator fitted under the sink in the summer but when I turned it off yesterday I saw that it is not turning off the water completely. What would be the best way of protecting the tap temporarily as the guy who fitted it can't come back until after the holidays. The house is centrally heated, by the way. I've seen a sort of conical device in B&Q which fits over the tap and is secured by a rubber tie around the handle.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes working the isolator valve on/off a few times will make it seal properly. Those conical covers work ok although there are several different models which look similar. Some are very soft expanded polystyrene and break easily, others are more dense and last longer.

Having a tap as an isolator is a bit odd....

If money is tight, anything to form an insulating cover will work as long as its waterproof. An old cushion in a plastic bag for instance.

Sponsored Links
If its a slow drip as opposed to a flow, when the isolator is shut off just open the (outside) tap when freezing weather is expected to clear the water in it. Either way wrapping hessian strips around it can help.

Blup

Sorry, should have said that the isolator is a tap too.

photo please

damp or wet hessian is not a good insulator.

the plastic cover will probably do, as the pipe is inside a heated room on the other side. But they do not last long, and next winter it may come loose or fall off.

I don't bother with anything thh.
I've my outside tap fixed on the wall with no external pipework (rear entry).
The tap is fed with plastic piping and winters here don't really get that cold.

I keep telling myself to fit a stop cock inside in the tap feed but never do.

If you live in cold environment, leaving water standing in the tap piping and relying on insulation to stop freezing is useless. You may stop it freezing for a day or night but any longer, forget it.

Found this at Homebase. I wrapped the tap in some old pipe lagging before fitting it. Now off to top up the car screen washer with winter liquid. Bl***y winter! At least today is the equinox.

Attachments

• 20211221_144717.jpg
    20211221_144717.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 72
If you don't protect it you'll often find the non return valves (if fitted) jam up from the water freezing.

I have two outdoor taps, garden and in the drive both with attached hoses. Supply pipes go through the wall, direct to back of each tap. I have many times had the hose pipes frozen, but never the actual taps themselves, despite neither isolating nor insulating them.

Any insulating material, which doesn't absorb water, will do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back