Outside tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've recently fitted a tap (not the tap-kit way, full on plumbing solder-ring, double check valve etc, couldn't fit an isolator though as it was no room underneath bathroom sink) :cool:

Its working great (touch wood it will last)

used one of these outside
p4767667_l.jpg

But because I used it the other way around (pipe going down out from wall, instead of up) the tap is sitting upside down when tightened :LOL:

Can you get opposite wall plate elbows? I've tried using plastic spacers but they snapped when I tightened the tap. Perhaps sawing off a thread on the tap will work? Or have you any suggestions.

Thanks for any guidance :)

Sponsored Links
Assuming you used a load of PTFE tape and something like jet blue you can just turn the tap enough for it to point the way you want it to go, just before it is wound in as far as it will go.

Fit an isolation valve and maybe internal drain point so you can isolate and drain in very cold weather. I went to 4 or 5 burst pipes to outside taps this winter and you don't want to have to turn all the water off if that happens to you.

Can you get opposite wall plate elbows?

thats like asking for a left handed hammer, just seal it with more/less tape so that is faces the right way and is watertight

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for the help, I will try that then :) Cheers

Yes, I should of added an isolation valve :mad: But there wasn't much room.

However she is going away in september, so I'll have a week or two to add the valve before the ice sets in.

Cheers

You could also try a fibre washer - this worked just fine for me. I also used some PTFE so that the seal isn't entirely reliant on the washer, but I found that with PTFE alone it was still possible for the whole body of the tap to move if you were a little too heavy handed.

You could also try a fibre washer - this worked just fine for me. I also used some PTFE so that the seal isn't entirely reliant on the washer, but I found that with PTFE alone it was still possible for the whole body of the tap to move if you were a little too heavy handed.

perhaps best to stick to wire twisting then. ptfe is all thats required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back